View Single Post
Old 05-13-2023, 10:56 AM   #758
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

There are a lot of systems that will do all the complex state & county (and even municipal) sales tax calculations for you, and some of them are old & creaky and not even really all that up-to-date.

Given that YT didn't really sell a lot of stuff until the past year or so, I'll bet they had an old and/or non-updated system (or even a home-grown system) and someone finally decided the regulatory/legal risk had gotten too high and they decided to implement a new and up-to-date one.

We had to do this at my last company as part of being carved out of a bigger company. On the cutover day for the ERP & other systems, the sales tax system was up-to-date, and then a day later was out of date because that's how often taxes change when you have thousands of potential taxing bodies in the United States (much more complex than the EU, actually, land of the free my ass).

Somehow no one caught it for about a month but it was quickly remedied by setting up a new account so all the updates came in properly. A bit of an oversight, really, but that whole company was a complete tire fire, so not hugely surprising.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote