Thread: World Politics
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2023, 08:37 PM   #147
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
There are plenty of countries that prohibit or restrict foreigners from owning property, for a range of reasons ranging from the somewhat-understandable to the downright-xenophobic, so the idea of restricting ownership isn't, on its face, crazy.

But since it's Ron DeSantis, my guess is that he's selling a favor for his backers (probably developers who want to building housing on former farmland but keep getting outbid by foreigners, or simply don't like the higher prices) by wrapping it in his usual racist and bigoted spiel.

As with the "Don't Say Gay" bill, I do not deny there is a political calculus at play to enhance his political ambitions. There clearly is.

There may be some nuances of the bill (which miami_fan will challenge me on) that I disagree with, but the overall generally intent (assuming it does not apply to US citizens/PR) in restricting foreign ownership of US residences (if US citizens/PR are similarly restricted in that country), I agree with.

In other words, if US citizens cannot buy (and own) land/residences in country A, we should apply similar restrictions to country A citizens in owning land/residences in the US.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-23-2023 at 08:44 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote