View Single Post
Old 06-23-2023, 03:35 AM   #1430
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

If Ecuador makes it far enough, we'll be sure to send them on their way rudely

World Team Cup, Group 3, Round 3
Latvia vs. Sri Lanka, Grass

Monday: G. Raychaudhari d. D. Darzins, 6-2, 3-6, 6-4, 4-6, 13-11!
Tuesday: A. Chandrasekharan d. A. Alunans, 6-3, 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
Wednesday: A. Alunans/R. Pumpurs d. S. Srivastava/A. Chandrasekharan, 6-4, 6-4, 6-7(9), 6-3
Thursday: A. Chandrasekharan d. D. Darzins, 6-2, 6-3, 7-6 (4)
Friday: G. Raychaudhari d. A. Alunans, 7-6(5), 6-7(5), 6-1, 6-3

I was right about winning by a 4-1 count, but not about how exactly this tie against Latvia went. Every match was competitive, and the first one was an absolute epic. There were breaks all over the place at the end of that 5th set and both players had many chances to win. I underestimated their doubles team, currently ranked 29th and 30th. It was a great week for experience for both of our singles players, esp. Raychaudhari.

We'll face Luxembourg in the quarterfinals on hardcourt, who we should be able to handle although they aren't a pushover and are somewhat better than their ranking of 50th indicates. It seems likely that it will come down to us and Morocco in the final, which would be a great situation for us regardless of who wins. I'm less confident of our chances to actually promote in a playoff though. There are some dangerous nations we could face, including Ukraine who we were quite happy to not have to deal with this year. I wouldn't give us any better than 50-50 odds to be in Level 2 next year, but it does look like we'll at least have the chance and the more WTC matches we can play the better off we'll be.

For now, the clay season beckons. I'll be back with a report on the French Open when we get to that point.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote