View Single Post
Old 07-10-2023, 07:59 AM   #498
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

As I've gotten deep into credit card and other travel company rewards, I've learned the importance of checking and re-checking (and re-checking over and over) prices and rebooking rewards reservations where I can. My email folders for each trip we take are a mess of reservations and cancellations, but it saves money/points/miles.

Hotels are the best use of this, because most hotels have pretty generous cancellation policies (sometimes up to the day of check-in), unless you book a "saver"/non-refundable rate. I'm headed to Atlanta on Sunday to hang out with an old friend - go to a Braves game in the afternoon, followed by a King's X concert that night - so I booked the Intercontinental (I've got Ambassador status and Premium Elite IHG status) a few months ago for 55K points. I checked last week and it was down to 48K, so I rebooked. This morning, I checked again, and it's 41K. I'm going to keep checking all week because a few thousand saved points here and there can add up.

On the flip side, I already booked our hotels for London and Paris for next May (same deal - I went with Intercontinental due to the perks and IHG's book 3 rewards nights, get a 4th night free), and in checking the rates, the London hotel price for the stay went up 75K in the 3 weeks since I booked it. The Paris Intercontinental no longer has any rewards nights available to book. I'll keep checking over the coming months, but I think I lucked into a decent deal on those hotels.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote