View Single Post
Old 08-08-2023, 01:37 AM   #1094
bhlloy
Coordinator

I do think that’s a very good point, which is the US setup probably isn’t as good these days as people think it is. At this point as more Womens leagues go professional with academies like the men’s game in Europe, if the US just rests on its laurels with the traditional club to college to a pro league that has been a bit of a mess, it probably won’t stay as the premier or even one of the premier nations in the world.

My wife played semi pro and county level (which I’m sure isn’t even a thing any more) while she was in the UK, with players from and against some name clubs in and around London like Watford, Palace and Arsenal. The level of professionalism was basically non existent; there was talent but it was basically pub levels of organization and fitness and it just happened to be girls who grew up playing and fell into a club team at 14-16. That has totally changed in the UK to a point it’s unrecognizable, now all these Prem teams are pro and have academies and that’s not unusual for the big European leagues from what I understand. The US definitely needs to keep up.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote