View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 06:02 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
but then if worst case scenario it's Fallout 4 I'm going to buy it and enjoy it, and most reviews say it's better than that.

This was some of the discussion I had this evening with my son, about where the floor/ceiling was.

I won't lie, I'm not anywhere near as enthused about Starfield as my history would suggest. The F76 debacle robbed me of any trust whatsoever, I don't "do" eager anticipation anymore. My expectation, after F76 as the final straw, is that anything & everything released by anyone/everyone WILL be a clusterfuck. It's the same mental shift I had after the Scorpions released Eye II Eye, I haven't really trusted an upcoming musical release since (and that was 1999).

But if not for Bethesda it's unlikely I'd have ever returned to console gaming in any meaningful way. My time spent on both Oblivion/Skyrim and in the Fallout universe combined to be what brought me back AND what kept me around. (The COD/MW franchises probably wouldn't haven't gotten the chance to get my time if I wasn't sucked back in by open world single player universes)

His take was "it may not be Skyrim, but it should at least be Fallout 4" which led me to consciously realize that I really liked F4 better than most people. There's stuff I would have preferred be different but I largely enjoyed myself there (indeed had settlement building been more like what Sim Settlements evolved it into, I'm not sure I'd have ever needed another game). If Starfield can be just F4, I'm good with that. I'm more concerned, having seen a few trustworthy early reviews, that they've dumbed down things I enjoyed most (like the settlement system) and maybe introduced a thing or two that I'll absolutely hate (like the flight stuff, which looks janky as all hell to me).

So no, I don't have the "OMG a new Bethesda game" squeals of delight or breathless anticipation that I would have once had. Sufficient for now that I at least feel like it's worth giving Starfield a shot ... which was far from a slam dunk.