View Single Post
Old 09-11-2023, 02:33 PM   #11086
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news on the effectiveness of the new vaccine on the new strain. I did read somewhere there may be an updated vaccine later that better targets the newer strain.

Personally, I think I'll hold off on getting the vaccination until Dec/Jan. Hoping to do another international trip and, from the last time I did this, they said vaccinations would be more effective 30-60 days before the trip.

New Pfizer and Moderna COVID shots approved by FDA - MarketWatch
Quote:
The EG.5 variant, known as Eris, is now dominant in the U.S., accounting for more than 21% of new cases in the two weeks ending Sept. 2, according to the CDC. Pfizer and Moderna have said their updated shots appear to be effective against several omicron variants, including EG.5.1 and BA.2.86, known as Pirola, which is being closely tracked because it has a large number of mutations.
There really is no excuse for not providing free shots for everyone. If there really is this mess where some people can't afford to get vaccinated or in a timely manner, it's on Joe for not anticipating or demanding better planning.

Quote:
People who have health insurance will still generally be able to receive the COVID vaccines with no out-of-pocket cost, experts say. For those who are uninsured, the picture is less clear. The CDC this summer announced a new program to provide free COVID shots. Last month, the agency said the shots would be provided through local health departments and federally qualified health centers starting in mid-September but may not be available at retail pharmacies until mid-October. Asked for an update on the timeline, a CDC spokesperson said Monday that the agency plans to release more information on the program later this week.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote