View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 11:07 PM   #14
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Going into FA, it's no surprise that we have needs all over the place. But after taking a deeper look into the roster, we desperately need help in the infield. A 2B, 3B, or SS that can hit would be a huge benefit. Additionally, a RHB that can play in the outfield would be a great add, but not one I'd prefer to spend one of our moves on. If we can find a 40-rated, heavy split RHB for the outfield, that would be ideal.

And we also desperately need a frontline starter. Berryhill has been solid for us, but he should be a back-end guy.

Luckily, there is an impact 3B in free agency. He's 32, but that's much better than what we've been seeing in our first two trips through free agency. 3B Scott Mullally comes from Kansas City, and hit 51 HR in 1946 and 43 in 1947. He wants a ton of money, but we do have a ton of room in our budget.

29-year-old SP Seth White is also available. He's got elite stuff with an 8-grade from our scout, with a 30%+ K-rate over the last two seasons.

We need to get one of these guys.

White would come a little bit cheaper, and is obviously a little bit younger. He's a 60 POT compared to Mullally at 65, which means theoretically, we should have a better shot at being able to offer him a deal with our RNG shenanigans.

We sim ahead to the first Monday, and generate a number between 2-8, looking for a 6 or higher. It's a 3. We move ahead to the following Monday and try again. This time, we get it.

His ask is a 9-year deal worth $258M, with an opt-out after year four and two player options at the end of the deal. This is where this RNG system gets tricky...if we try to mess around with the deal and he declines it, we'll need to start from scratch, sim to the next Monday, roll another 6+, etc.

The deal starts at $23M, escalates up to $32M for the middle of the deal, and then scales back down. I think this could work for us, as we will hopefully be decent by the time the cost scales up. The one thing we do adjust is removing the no-trade clause. We'll see how important that is to him, but we bump up some bonus provisions as a compromise.

Mullally, who I was just about to go try and make an offer to, has already signed, inking a 5-year deal worth $157M with our fellow expansion brethren, San Francisco.

On Wednesday, Nov 26th, we hear from White that he's looking for more money. We can't respond yet, and move ahead to the next Monday. He's now asking for $275M over nine years. We make some adjustments, change the final year's option to a team variety, and make the offer.

On Dec 18th, he signs! It's a $248M deal over eight years, with a $27M option for 1956 without any no-trade provisions. White can opt out after the 1951 season, and has a player option for the 1955 season.

Without any bats that I really love, I look towards SP Joe Casten, who's also 29. While he's not White, he'd likely be a #2 starter for us and is looking for a one-year deal worth just over $9M. However, before we are able to make an offer he signs with Cleveland.

I think this leaves us content heading into the season just using one of our Free Agency signings. We can hang on to the other and carry it over, or use it to claim someone on waivers if necessary.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote