View Single Post
Old 01-16-2024, 07:54 AM   #708
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
If I could vote for a Kasich, Haley, etc. I probably would; there are factors that could make me go back to third party also but I'd lean that way. As long as it's somebody like Trump - I wouldn't vote for DeSantis either for similar reasons as Trump - as long as it's somebody like that, I don't see a reasonable choice other than voting Biden. I don't support a lot of his policies, but on some issues he constrains himself by respecting the form of government of the country he's the President of. Right now, that's where the bar basically is; are you in favor of voting or against it, for or against civil war/anarchy/despotism.

Sincere question. Do you see yourself as a member of the GOP?

That is the piece I can't wrap my head around. GOPers could vote for Haley because they agree with her policies. They could vote for Haley because they don't like Trump/DeSantis. They could vote for Haley because they believe she is the best chance to defeat Biden. But yet here we are.

To be clear, the same could be said on the Democratic side as well when it comes to actual votes cast. I just see more people expressing their choice in one of those three terms. I personally think Haley (or someone else) would have had a better chance running as a conservative Democratic against Biden as opposed to what she has done. I'm not saying she would have won the nomination but her pushes to the far right so far come off as disingenuous to me. She seems better suited to chase the support of the more conservative members of the Democratic Party.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote