View Single Post
Old 01-17-2024, 03:29 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I struggle with this statement because you have not made a distinction between legal & illegal immigration.

There is no need for the distinction. Our history is littered with examples of our lack of desire for both. I say that without assigning a value judgement. I don’t think that can be disputed.

Quote:
FWIW, from what I've read, there is majority support by GOP voters for Dreamers getting legal status and assume that translates to Congress.

I assume the majority of Democratic voters feel the same way and it also translates to Congress. To my point, if both sides want this, they is no reason for there not to already have legislation in place to give Dreamers legal status. No one has to compromise to get what they want.

Quote:
The challenge is figuring out what each of the 11% want and see if a deal can be made. It'll take a lot of work and negotiating.

See above. If they are not adamant about Dreamers being denied legal status, they don’t need convincing. They would be more aligned with the 20% who feel the same way, not by their choice but by the 60% who is not aligning themselves with anyone who are not adamant. If anyone was willing to change their minds in exchange for pork, election funds, increased Border Security funding or just about anything else, it was never as important to them as they would have had us believe. They would have flipped already.

Quote:
IMO there has to be backroom deals to get this done. And it's going to take leadership from the President to make it happen.

You need people willing and capable of making backroom deals. Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, the voters are sending fewer dealmakers to Congress every election.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote