View Single Post
Old 04-19-2024, 01:10 PM   #21
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yep. I'm not where I want to be at 52, but I'll be clearing the kids off the payroll (slowly) over the next 4-5 years and paying the house off shortly after that, so I plan to accelerate the savings. And, I've still got more than my parents do right now in their mid-70s, which they have barely touched since retiring about a decade ago.

But I can't imagine thinking about retirement savings working lower-paying jobs and trying to support a family.

Odd to read this from 2 months before my dad's accident. Thankfully my parents have a decent nest egg, but all it takes is one major medical issue to wipe the entire thing out. Fortunately, he's made pretty good progress and - at least for now and the foreseeable future - they can both live independently thanks to their Part G supplement paying for pretty much everything Medicare didn't pick up and his progress with recovery. But in a worse-case scenario where he might have needed to be put in a SNF or ALF, $800K would not last very long if one or both of them lived, say, another 10 years.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote