View Single Post
Old 05-20-2024, 04:14 PM   #380
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The modes work because people pay for them, and somehow people forget that these games aren't created for charity. They are cash cows to very large corporations. I'm sure there are plenty of programmers that work there for the joy of working on a game they loved, but in the end it is the corporate entity that dictates what time and effort can be put into various things, and they are going to be way more concerned about the biggest profit center than the feature that always sucks yet people still buy the games anyway.

But my argument, I guess, is that in many ways the fact that people are paying for them (us NMS types notwithstanding) says that they're doing exactly what they should be doing.

I mean, it succeeds because the market responds to it. And it kinda even makes sense.

Look at TEW. How many people bought that game & started a dynasty/campaign/whateverword? But how many of those ever got past 3 years in game? The long-running franchise people, regardless of the game or the medium, are a minority.