View Single Post
Old 02-06-2004, 11:46 PM   #153
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Where did I ever say they'd go to war? I said they'd be less adamant and vocal. I do wish you would read my posts.

Fair enough.

Quote:
From Iraq? No one was under credible threat of WMD attack from them. Have we found any yet?

We have recovered quite a bit of documentation about WMD in Iraq. Some of which shows activity in trying to build nuclear weapons, perhaps as early as 2007 they could have had one. There is still the missing stockpiles the UN accounted for in 1991 but can't now. The Iraqi's were very capable and disciplined in inventoring their stash then, but the paper trail suddenly died when it came time for destruction? What's up with that?

Quote:
The diplomatic world is a close-knit one with definite rules. Bush II did not follow them, while his father definetly did. That was the main difference between the two US-Iraq wars. Even the USSR did not veto the action in 1991... THAT is some diplomacy.

I would suggest that GW1 and GW2 had rules that were quite a bit different. GWI was a reactionary movement to liberate a internationally recognized nation in Kuwait. GW2 was a USA action to protect you and me from it and him.

Quote:
Only because Powell MADE Bush go. And the rest of the world knew it. They knew that Bush was only going because his SecState said he had to and had no intention of giving a damn what the UN said.

Yes, Powell knew Bush was a meanie! That's what the papers said. He didn't care what the UN said, it wasn't their problem apparently. I think his speech to the UN and following work trying to bring the UN onboard was a solid level of effort to allow the UN to run things. We asked for the UN's help and they said, "No, thanks." But yet, we still had a problem to deal with.

Quote:
He NEVER stressed the humanitarian reason for war. He stressed WMD... which aren't there. Oops.

Well, we had 300,000 troops in country for a long time now. We had that level of troops up until the capture of Saddam Hussein. We searched the residence where Saddam Hussein was found FIVE times before he was stumbled upon by an alert soldier. You can keep things hidden, in your own back yard, if you want to. It's not hard to hide well, but it's damn near impossible to find. Satellites can't see underground.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote