View Single Post
Old 02-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #5
John Galt
Pro Starter

mauboy, you raise a couple good points and one that I knew was a partial shortcoming to my current description.

First off, the fact that you knew the moment you hit the ball where it was going is not the same thing as knowing before your bat hit the ball. You may be able to hit it with some measure of accurary through timing, but that generally controls pull v. opposite field, not gap v. non-gap.

Second, when I said gap power is a myth I didn't quite describe what I meant right. Mark grace didn't have "gap power" in the sense that he didn't hit "gaps" more often than an OF anymore than most hitters. Rather, he had power, but not home run power. The way I envision power working is in tiers. Players with very high power will hit HR's and 2B's, players with high power will hit slightly less HR's and slightly more), good power will get you more 2B's but not as many HR's (Grace). This was not clear from my first description, but I think that accurately reflects "power" in baseball. The ability to hit a "gap" v. "not a gap" is non-existent. Likewise, having HR power, but not 2B power is non-existent. That is why separating power into 2 categories is a mistake, IMO.

Edited:

I just thought of another way to explain this. Power is roughly a predictor of the total number of 2B's and HR's a hitter will hit (3B's are more speed related). So, contact + power determine the net total of 2B + HR. The percentage of those hits that end up being HR's is determined by power (ie - the doubles that clear the fence). Maybe that makes things clearer?

Last edited by John Galt : 02-21-2004 at 03:29 PM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote