View Single Post
Old 01-21-2001, 10:05 PM   #9
Daimyo
College Starter

2023 Richmond Archetypes Season in Review

I'm gonna try to change my posts a little bit from now on. Instead of providing so much detail on a game by game basis, I'm gonna give a much more summarized account of the actual games. I will also concentrate more on telling about the choices I make in the offseason, which is the most fun part of the game to me anyway.

Beginning of Season and Free Agency

Both my scout's and my coach's contracts expire this year. My scout is amazing and only 42 years old so I give him a five year, $2 mil deal. I try to sign a different coach, but he rejects my offer so I resign my current coach with a huge pay cut since he is much older now and no other team offers him a deal.

I franchise 5th year guard Kent Bradford, a three year starter on my team. Colorado Springs offers me a pretty good OT and their first round pick (11) for QB Randal Nelson. I seriously consider this deal since Nelson's ratings have dropped dramatically. In the end I decide its time to rebuild accept the deal. At the time I traded Nelson he looked like this,

In free agency I make a three year $30 million offer to an offensive guard. This has been a huge need position for me every year. In week five William Sharkey accepts my deal. I sign another guard in week ten to a longterm deal.

Amateur Draft

I hold the 11th and 22nd picks in this draft and my absolute best hope is that a great future QB will fall to me at eleven. With the 22nd pick I grab QB Leonard Becker who will at least be the temporary QB of the future until I can find a more suitable guy. In the second round I pick up a guard who should be starting in a year or two. I get a good pass-rushing DT with my second second round.pick. I get another potential QB of the future in the third round. I take a great punter with my fourth round pick. I get a pretty good TE with my fifth round pick. I take yet another QB in the sixth round (hopefully one will break out). I use my seventh round pick on a decent back with maxed out breakaway speed.

Preseaon

This year I actually had my first real breakthrough player in all my hundreds of seasons of FOF2k1!!! Josh Cloud, an URFA who started with no potentials up above 50 now looks like this

Also my 7th round RB improved most his ratings by 10 points or less which now makes him look a great backup RB.

I finish the exhibition 3-1 with only my third WR being injuried.

Regular Season

I start the season 0-3 before I notice my starting rookie QB and CB are both injured. I bring in a different rookie QB to start and get my first win over previously undefeated New York! For a while it looks as if that might be the only game we win we run off a string of six straight losses. I make another change at QB to let my third rookie get a shot and he leads us to our second win. Achtison leads the team to a second consecutive victory before being injured. We lose the next game and then win the next to make us three out of our last four and move us into SECOND-TO-LAST-PLACE! We win our next game just to make sure we screw up our draft position and just to totally make sure we have no shot at the first pick we even win our last game too. Well… We did win five of our last six games. I don't know if I should feel optimistic for the future or mad cause I probably won't even get a pick in the top five next year.

Regular Season Recap

This was definitely a transition year. When we were 1-9 we could at least look forward to drafting a stud QB next year, but after five of the last six, we probably ruined those chances.

Team Statistics
Rushing: 3.2 / 3.9 / 3.8
Passing: 6.4 / 6.0 / 6.7

Without a good QB to keep the defense honest, my running game became almost non-existent. My passing defense showed improvement, but I guess that had more to do with teams not needing to pass on us in the second halves of games.

PF: 297
PA: 375

Playoffs

Indianapolis defeated Philadelphia 29-24 to win the Superbowl.

Player Awards

Surprisingly…

Norman Robertson - 1st Team All-Pro Defensive Tackle

Butch Ballard - 1st Team All-Pro Linebacker

Shawn McGee - 1st Team All-Pro Cornerback

[This message has been edited by Daimyo (edited 01-23-2001).]

Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote