#2 Boston vs. #7 Montreal
#3 Philadelphia vs. #6 New Jersey
#4 Toronto vs. #5 Ottawa

Western Conference:

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville
#2 San Jose vs. #7 St. Louis
#3 Vancouver vs. #6 Calgary
#4 Colorado vs. #5 Dallas

I find picking a winner for any of these series to be incredibly difficult. I can't really think of any series that just seems like a gimme. I reckon it has to do with the lack of real stellar goaltending. With the retirement of Roy and the retirement/injury of Hasek, I think there are only two "world class" goaltenders left in the game: Belfour and Brodeur. Those are the only two goaltenders who scare me. Granted, one goalie is likely to go all Giggy on us at some point and start playing amazingly well (pleasedon'tletitbeVokounpleasedon'tletitbeVokounpleasedon'tletitbeVokounpleasedon'tletitbeVokounpleasedon'tletitbeVokoun), but as things start that's basically it. There are plenty of quality netminders, such as Khabibuhlin, Nabokov, Theodore, etc., but none at the "world class" level. That being said, here are the picks:

My Picks:

#1 Tampa Bay vs. #8 N.Y. Islanders
Tampa Bay in 5.

I am not sold on Tampa. I like them, I always have. I am not sure why exactly. Probably becaue Petr Klima played a few seasons for them and as my first real favorite hockey player, I have a soft spot for him and the teams he played for (I was up until 2 am the night Klima scored the 3OT game winner against Boston in the 1990 Cup Finals. The only reason he scored was because he had played a total of 5 minutes, because he wasn't playing all that well or hard, but it was good to see). Even though I am not sold on Tampa, they have a solid blue line, plenty of talent upfront, and the Buhlin wall between the pipes. I don't even know who is starting in net for the Islanders. 'Nuff said.

#2 Boston vs. #7 Montreal
Montreal in 7.

A classic series and it gives us the first "injury intrigue" of the play-offs, Joe Thornton and his "upper body injury." Is it his ribs? His wrist? No one knows! Classic stuff. I don't think Big Joe will make an appearance in this series, if he does, he may be limited in action. The Bruins have rode the Raycroft wave for the entire year. He's been stellar. Rookie of the year material. This is the play-offs. Unless your rookie is Patrick Roy (see, I show respect, though behind the veil of respect is seething hatred), you can't feel comfortable going into the playoffs with a rookie between the pipes. You just never know when he's going to go all Jim Carey on you. We've seen it happen so many times before. I also have a gut feeling that Theodore is going to play very well and steal this one for the Habs. He's their only hope really, because Montreal can't match up with Boston talentwise.

#3 Philadelphia vs. #6 New Jersey
New Jersey in 5.

If I had to pick one "sure thing", I think this series would be it. Philly has all sorts of trouble in goal, Esche starting is one example. They are Philly. They are playing Brodeur. Even without Stevens, I don't see the Devils losing this one. They have shown a flair for some big offensive outputs and they have Brodeur. Even is he slept with his wife's sister, he's still a very good goalie, though perhaps a very bad man.

#4 Toronto vs. #5 Ottawa
Toronot in 7.

Best series of the first round and could end up being the best series of the entire playoffs. No one should be surprised, Toronto is almost always involved in some of the best matchups because they have so many nasty players (Domi, Tucker, Sundin (yes, he's nasty), Roberts, etc. No Corson though which is sad) and you get in a long series with them and emotions will come out (see: New Jersey, Islanders, etc.) There will be no shortage of emotions between these rivals. Ottawa is probably the most talented team at the moment. Loaded with skill. They are also play-off hardened in a way. Been through a number of tough, physical series, have won big games and came within one goal of the finals last year. These aren't the same old lilly-white Sens. That being said, even without Owen Nolan I like the Leafs with Leetch and McCabe along the blue-line and Eddie the Eagle in net. I think Lalime is a fine goalie, but he's no Belfour.

#1 Detroit vs. #8 Nashville
Detroit in 5.

Like Hurst said, there is nothing worse than the first round for Red Wings fans. So many heartbreaks, the Leafs and f*cking Nikolai Borchevsky (or however the hell you spell that no-talent assclown's name) in 1992, the Sharks in 1993, the Kings in 2001, the Ducks in 2003. So many horrible, nightmarish first round series. This one has all the makings of another one. Expansion team's first foray into the playoffs. A solid goaltender in Vokoun. A team the Wings have struggled against historically. Start from there and add the fact that Legace is starting in net and things look grim. I like Manny. I think he's a solid, if not unspectacular goaltender and perhaps the best back-up in the league. But I don't think he makes a great #1 goalie and he his playoff experience is all of 15 minutes or so of mop-up time. There's no telling how Manny will react and it is for certain that there will be no series in which the Wings play that I could comfortably say "our goalie is better than their's." (Wings fans could really only say this in 2002 when Hasekn was playing). There is no telling how the injuries to Draper and Lang have healed and how well Hatcher will mesh with the defensive corps. That being said, I cannot and will not predict a first round collapse against Nashville, Steve Sullivan be damned!

#2 San Jose vs. #7 St. Louis
St. Louis in 6.

I agree with DD, San Jose doesn't scare me. I have no idea really how they sucked so hard last year, traded away some of their big name players, and then all of a sudden became so damned good this year. I reckon some of it has to do with Nabokov, but I have no idea. They do have some talent, but Marleau and Sturm (I always think of them as the same player), though talented never really scare me. St. Louis squeaked into the play-offs and their blueline has been decimated with injury. That said, they have some good players upfront with Weight, Demetria, Tkachuk, and others. Osgood isn't as bad as many people think (he certainly isn't self-immolation bad). I'll go with the Blues on this one, I have no idea why.

#3 Vancouver vs. #6 Calgary
Calgary in 7.

This should be a great series. Good Canadian rivalry. The Canucks are always fun to watch because they play a fast, up-tempo style. Even without Bertuzzi they have plenty of skill up front with Naslund, Morrison, Sanderson, the Sedin twins, Rucinsky, etc. I think I like Calgary in this one. Though Kiprusoff lacks play-off experience, I think he will be solid. I have no faith in Cloutier. Never have, never will. Lacks a mental toughness. I've thought this ever since he was playing in Tampa Bay and New York. Maybe he's developed it, but I don't think so. I think Iginla will be on fire, Kiprusoff will keep the puck out of the net and Calgary will win it's first series since Karim was knee-high to a grasshopper.

#4 Colorado vs. #5 Dallas
Dallas in 6.

Should be a great series. Plenty of talent on both sides. At the begining of the season, I thought Colorado's top two lines would be the best two lines in hockey: Tangauy-Forsberg-Hejduk and Selanne-Sakic-Kariya. The first line was the best last year and who didn't think sticking Sakic between Selanne and Kariya wouldn't produce one of the best lines ever? Kariya and Selanne were amazing together for years in Anaheim without any really quality centerman (I like Rucchin, I think he's good, but he was always hurt back then). Didn't really happen though. Despite taking ridiculously low salaries, given their play, Kariya and Selanne were over-paid. Neither had a good season. Now Kariya is out with an ankle injury (the man heals very slowly) and I think Tanguay is still injured too. That will cause some havok in the line combinations. I like the additions of Gratton and Barnaby (especially Barnaby), but you always have to be wary whenever a team makes so many moves at the deadline. It rarely works in their favor (unless they get some ridiculous deal involving Ron Francis and Ulf Samuelsson). Dallas played very well down the stretch, especially Billy Guerin and Marty Turco. Speaking of Turco, the Avs go into the playoff with Abeschire in net. He's been solid all season, but he's yet one more goalie who has no play-off experience. He could crack under the pressure. The edge between the pipes has to go to Dallas. Between that and Colorado's injury problems up front, I am going with the Stars.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote