View Single Post
Old 04-09-2004, 06:01 PM   #37
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand

And my question is -- if your audience knows that you're still referencing the objectionable words/meaning/act, then why should that be any less objectionable?

O.K. It's probably just me but I see a huge distinction here and thus a communication tool. It speaks volumes when one merely suggests something and when one comes out and says it. The difference, at least to me when I use it is why I use the terms I do.

I guess I'm really not the right person to address this question. If I feel that a curse is appropriate I'll use one. If I don't, I'll say something else, not just a watered down curse. I'd never do that. It would offend my sense of the language.

I make my living talking to people and I've often been asked how I can say some of the things I say and not get in trouble but I never have. I don't even really think I've pushed the limits honestly but I've cursed on occasion with my customers. I'm not saying this to brag but to indicate that there is a great bit of leeway in communication and in the long run intent is far more important than the choice of words though I do concentrate on the words I use. This realization is one of the reasons I have the view I do about curse words. They DO have their place and sometimes that's even in polite company so to speak.

Looking at it as you present it though, I understand your question and find it interesting as well. Why do people use the watered down vernacular as a substitute to cursing as opposed to an alternative? From the responses here though, I'd say my way of looking at it is far more widespread than it may seem.

A final off topic but I was considering making this a thread but I think it's a bit self indulgent. It's about winning a verbal exchange. One of the times I came close to getting into trouble was the following encounter.

We had a doctor on our service ( I am a supervisor at a call center that covers 4 hospitals and over 700 local doctors btw ) that had very simple instructions. After 7pm he was at home and wished to be called there. Simple?

Yes but we never did it. At least 3 times a week this guy would have to call and complain about us screwing it up. Why? I really don't know but we did.

One day though, in his complaint, he really pushed my buttons. He called us stupid. By extension, he called me stupid. Now, that I'm willing to work for the pay that I do with the experience that I have, he may have a point but that's another topic.

Let me present.

"You all are just stupid. That's all. I've been with this service for seven years and you've never gotten it right. It's not that hard you know. You all are just stupid."

"Hmm, let me get this straight, you've been with us for seven years?"

"Yes"

"And we've never gotten it right in those seven years?"

"Right"

"And you're still with us?"

"Yes"

"O.K., you've been with us for seven years, we've never gotten it right in that time, AND you're still with us? Tell me again, how are we the stupid ones??"

At this point he hung up.

I've been asked how I didn't get in big trouble for that one? I really don't know but I can guess. Would you be willing to admit that you've been one upped that badly?

Oh, and this is far more fulfilling than a simple fuck you which is really what I felt and in no way would substituting frick have been anywhere near as satisfying. See what I mean??