View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #106
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News - Locker Room Riot Coming Up?
Anonymus sources report that new addition defensive end Albert Bernardo, who left Springfield for the worst team in the league, has been putting a revolution in the locker room. It is reported that Bernardo is luring at a role as defensive front leader when Andrew King is cut after training camp, which is a likely option. King has been a trouble maker with starting linebacker Mike Kershner. However, it seems that promising defensive end Deon Chapa doesn't like Bernardo as being his mentor. Head coach Leroy van der Woude commented: "We have yet to go into training and already people see our players cockfighting. Look, this is part of being human, you can't expect people to go along well with everyone around. Bernardo is an excellent addition to the team. I should know, I had season tickets last season in Maassluis." Despite Van der Woude's confidence, we fear a revolution will take place as King's days near the world port are counted, he could be sailing home pretty soon.

Irregular Interviewing With: Justin McDavid
Ogden, Utah, the hometown of a record setting IHOF player. Justin McDavid made quite an entrance in the International House Of Football as the quarterback of the league's worst team, the Maassluis Merchatmen. Experts point to McDavid's lack of talent as a passer, yet the guy outperformed other starting rookies in passing yards (2,904) and touchdowns (19) in 15 starts. On the ground, McDavid added 322 yards and 2 more scores. But McDavid's name was set in the league in a different role, McDavid had a nose of fumbling at his team's half of the field and put up a league high of 13 fumbles. Add 22 interceptions and you have Mr. Turnover, or as the McDavid haters call him: "Fumblin' Justin". Despite the numerous losses, McDavid has stolen the hearts of Merchantmen fans, McDavid was polled as one of the most popular players on the team, third to do-it-all fullback Mark Burger and hard-hitter linebacker Mike Kershner. What follows is the transcript of our short interview with McDavid.
Q (Questioner) - Justin, we'd like to start with the question everybody wants to know. You set two important passing records as a rookie, yet people only know you as Fumblin' Justin. Does it hurt a lot?
JM (Justin McDavid) - First of all, I didn't set those records on my own. Without guys like Jerry Aubrey and Bryce Ewald I probably would have never reached 2,900 yards or get over the one touchdown per game mark. I know I made mistakes in my rookie year, but I always thought that's what it's all about in your first year. You make a mistake, learn from it and get mentally stronger.
Q - Even with the losses lead by your fumbles?
JM - They never replaced me. I think people in the office are happy with me and I'll return them the favor by doing what I do best. I look what the defensive linemen do and react accordingly. It's my nature to best when we're in a 2nd and 15 situation. Of course with Randy, we hardly ever get there.
Q - Do the rumors of the team trading up in the draft to get Mark Hudson hurt you?
JM - No. Hudson is the best playcaller in this class. Teams will go after him, no matter what. It makes sense that people link the best quarterback with the losingest team in the league. I'll be confident to do better in camp and preseason. We'll see who's the number by then. Providing the management take him.
Q - Who would you pick?
JM - Me? How should I know? Playing home games in Europe means hardly watching a game of college football. All I know is that Lamar Perez and Jamie McDermit (fullback and tight end who are Texas Tech graduates like McDavid) had a great scouting combine.
Q - What's your take on the trading of picks?
JM - I heard it's part of Dutchmen, having to hassle and negotiate over everything. They say in the end they always get the best out of it. I hope they do, the better the picks, the better the new players are.
Q - And the addition of Wilson Grimaldo?
JM - Wilson is so big! I mean, he's 6'7", 342 pounds, but that's not all. Wilson has a great personalty, he's smart and very experienced. I know he liked the weather in Paris better, though, but overall I think he's willing to help this team reach the ultimate goal.
Q - Which is?
What do you think? Having a ring around your finger when you retire! We have a good group now. Great men on offense, a lot of potential on defense. The management aims for 2007, but I think Calvin (Snider, backup quarterback) is right, you have to win all the time.
Q - Will you be the starting quarterback by that time?
I wish. In this game, the future is hard to see. Just look at the rumors surrounding David Conti. A second year guy like me, leaguewide tagged as the future ruler of the league, guided his team to the AOC Championship as a rookie, but now they say he could be traded before the draft.
Q - You're well informed.
JM - The network is small, even when things happen overseas. Of course now I'm home in Utah. I can follow all the rumors in football land.
Q - But unlike Conti, you did signed a new contract. You're underpaid for a starting quarterback!
Look at it this way: I got 1.5 million dollars as a signing bonus. That's a lot of money to have in the pocket. The coming five years I will get enough money to be able to retire and never have to work again.
Q - Sounds good.
JM - I want to play football! Right now, I will be starting in Maassluis. I know they might bring in other guys, but I don't see this team pick up so many guys over the next years that I won't be playing in Maassluis in say 2007. Plus, I'm not the kind of guy that loves to play in a different uniform every new season.
Q - Justin, thank you for your time. Good luck with the Merchantmen in the upcoming season.
JM - Thank you, too.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 05-07-2004 at 03:44 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote