View Single Post
Old 08-19-2004, 05:41 AM   #365
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Gossip News: Merchantmen not getting what they want
The reputation of the Merchantmen management as good traders has been seriously hurt as our anonymus source claim they are unable to get deals done. It seems teams are not interesting in old starters like Jerry Aubrey and Vincent Lopez, while other deals seem to be impossible to strike as the Merchantmen have no cap room for new players. Deon Chapa seems to be the biggest casualty of the situation. We managed to get some words from the defensive end.

"Fort Worth, Orlando, Vicksburg, North Plainfield, Outer Banks, Rochester and San Antonio are just a couple of teams I heard they are talking with." Chapa seems not so happy. "I know the teams is trying to get rid of me, they like Albert (Bernardo) a lot more. He's a great guy to work with, but I want to play, where doesn't matter much." The Merchantmen are thinking they can get a first round pick for Chapa, yet our sources tell us the best they could get was a third round pick and a player. Chapa adds "I'm wondering what keeps them holding up. Do they really need to wait for the official go ahead from te league office to strike a deal?"

Other rumors are that Alvin Causey, known as the strongest man in the league is not getting interest from other teams. Why is a mystery, but apparently teams are afraid of the injury he had. Vincent Lopez' situation is even tougher as league pundits claim that 31 of the 32 teams are settled at fullback. Only the Minnesota Miners could use a better fullback, yet they have two decent options there. Other players seem to draw no interest at all.

Gossip News thinks the Merchantmen management has lost he skill of negotiating well, or probably a better explanation is they got lucky early on in the 2005 off season. There is reason to believe that the Merchantmen won't be improving much the next season and they will stay exactly where they are, around 8-8. Maybe it's good that they players seem to go nowhere, as it means cohesion will improve, yet the team could use one or two upgrades on the team. At least the latets news is they have withdrawn all the interest and are now only interested in getting one or two 2006 first round picks. We doubt they can get them, but you never know for sure with the Merchantmen. Last season, they ended up with four first round picks, they might try to end up with a bunch once again.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote