View Single Post
Old 11-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #179
Buzzbee
College Starter

The collaborative nature of solving puzzles on the internet lends itself very well to multi-step puzzles, IMO. It allows a group of people to work on a puzzle together yet staves off a little of the race to the finish. The group might work through the clues fairly quickly, but determining how to use the clues can be a puzzle in itself, thus eliminating some of the race to the finish. It also allows people of different talents to become involved. I'm decent at solving clues, but suck donkey balls when it comes to translating those clues into some solution or next step. In addition, the multi-step helps alleviate the "information advantage" of the net. We can look up song lyrics or members of the hall of fame very easily. However, it is more of a challenge to take that information and apply or manipulate it in a "next step" of a puzzle.

As we have seen it can be a very fine line between providing enough information to allow that "aha" moment vs. being terribly ambiguous to prevent the puzzle from being ridiculously easy. I think because of this, there is a tendency to make the enigma vague and then give hints or handhold as needed. Also, as we get more and more enigma puzzles, the creators are having to find new and creative ways to challenge us. Otherwise, it bccomes formulaic. Thus, the more obscure and ethereal the connections between steps become.

Just my $0.02.