View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 06:06 AM   #548
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Editor's note
Readers, I'm having difficulties with my laptop, which is the only pc where I have the game installed, so I have to forfeit a long week 16 update.

General manager notes of week 16
Well, the game in the snow at the Blizzard was a dissaster. We never were able to make a fist and the 13-10 loss was not how the game really went. Highlight of the game was Randy Harris 10-yard run for a score to put us 10-7 up in the fourth quarter, but the lead was a result of four missed field goals from Boulder side. With a last second 45-yard field goal, the home team won and took what they deserved after outscoring us 399-184 in yardage and by winning the turnover battle 2-0 on two by Louie Flannery thrown interceptions.

Our divisional rivals had a tough week too, except for the Bordeaux Vineyards, who are now in pole position for the European title. The Gothenburg Giants, however, are the European team that clinched a playoff ticket, while Bordeaux can still miss the post-season with a 10-6 record, in favor of the Rochester Lake Monsters. Ironically, it would require us to lose to Gothenburg, which means the Merchantmen will be trying to keep the Lake Monsters out of the playoffs in week 17. Despite the loss, being 7-8, we had already clinched being at least as good as in 2005 (when we were 7-9). With a win over Gothenburg, we could be 8-8, despite playing 9 games against playoff teams, providing that Boulder takes the NAC's second wild card and Bodeaux taking one of the AOC wild cards.

The three players deserving of a honorary mentioning were:
Wilson Grimaldo, the right tackle, who's been anchoring an offensive line that allowed just 24 sacks all season, with Grimaldo being the leader with just 1 sack allowed in 12 games. Against Boulder, the team allowed 1 sack and Grimaldo led the team with 2 key run blocks.

Charles Gomez, the defensive tackle, extended his chace for the Defensive Player of the Year honors with 9 tackles, 3 assists and 2 quarterback hurries.

Al Bettis, the kickoff kicker, scored a 30-yard field goal and an extra point, while replacing Cary Coles as placekicker. The rookie also kicked off 3 times for an average of 70.3 yards, with 1 touchback and being part of a special teams unit that allowed 25.5 yards per kickoff return and 17 yards per kickoff.

That means that the overall standings in my Merchantmen player of the year race are now:
29 - DT Charles Gomez
23 - RB Randy Harris
11 - LB Cody Cluff
10 - QB Louie Flannery, FB Jamel Rosenberry, CB Johnnie Stidham
8 - DE Albert Bernardo
7 - LB Ellsworth Thelen
5 - OT Wilson Grimaldo, CB Gus Stoffers
3 - DT John Bryant, DE Scot Dick, WR Devin Henson, LT Kerry McLaurin
2 - FS John Cole, WR Bryce Ewald, TE Jim Reiser, CB Myron Stevens
1 - K Al Bettis, SS Lincoln Gilmore, WR David Henkel, WR Matt Offord, LG Butch White

Yes, that means that Charles Gomez is already the best player, while Randy Harris wins offensive player of the year and Louie Flannery wins rookie of the year. The newcomer of the year award is still up in the air between Flannery, Jamel Rosenberry and Johnnie Stidham.

Also note that of the team, I think the following players are in the race for the All IHOF awards ceremonies:
FB Jamel Rosenberry - With a big game against Gothenburg he might be able increase his 8 touchdowns scored, which is exceptional for a fullback
TE Jim Reiser - Has made 75 receptions already and is more than likely to finish the season in the league's top 10 in receptions.
OT Wilson Grimaldo - Has made 21 key run blocks in 12 games, with a a success percentage of 36 and just 1 sack allowed in 376 passing plays.
LDT Charles Gomez - With 90 tackles, 32 assists, 9.5 sacks and 18 more passing plays broken up, he's already a lock for All IHOF first team honors.
MLB Cody Cluff - It's a longshot, since Cluff doesn't make pass rushing plays, but his 111 tackles are top 10 in the IHOF and ith 6 passes defended it could count.
SLB Ellsworth Thelen - Lacking the pass rush numbers, but with 97 tackles he could end up as the fourth best mentioned outside linebacker.
CB Johnnie Stidham - A longshot, but with 6 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles, he's a turnover machine. With 5 defended passes and 44 tackles, he might be a darkhorse for the fourth cornerback spot.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote