Old 12-03-2004, 06:50 PM   #575
Franklinnoble
Banned

It gets better....

http://www.tampabaylive.com/stories/...enlafave.shtml
This story has recent photos... text below:

Planned insanity defense surprises Debra Lafave's husband
an ABC Action News report 12/01/04
previous story: Former teacher to use insanity plea against charges of sex with student (11/30/04)

TAMPA - Debra Lafave's plans to use an insanity defense against charges that she had a sexual relationship with a 14-year-old student caught a lot of people off-guard, but perhaps none more so than her soon-to-be ex-husband.

Action News reporter Sarina Fazan sat down with Owen Lafave to watch footage of Debra's first court appearance in months, and it didn't take long for Owen to notice significant changes in her.

"She looks terrible. She's definitely put on, probably, a good 15 pounds. Look at her eyes, she has dark circles under her eyes. She looks genuinely frightened there," he said as he watched the tape.

Owen believes Debra was coached to be more conservative. Tuesday's look was a drastic change from when the former Greco Middle School teacher was first arrested in June.

"Her hair is shorter, she does has bangs, she's wearing less makeup. I think she looks younger," Owen continued. "She doesn't look well. She looks stressed out, like maybe the ramifications of the whole thing have taken a toll on her physically."

Debra's dramatic eye shadow and bright red lipstick were gone, and a small gold crucifix hung around her neck.

"After this happened, she really turned to God. She became very involved in the Bible and Christian book stores, as well as more symbolic gestures, like the cross she is wearing," Owen said.

Owen had dated Debra since he was in college. So did he see anything unusual then, or when he was married to her?

"There was some behavior that was speculative. We went through a rough patch, a period of time and she was treated for depression as well as some eating disorders. She had sought help, saw a psychologist, was on some medication," Owen recalled. "So there were some patterns, but nothing to the extent that she was capable of what she was charged with. I would never have married her if I thought that was the case."

Owen had not spoken with Debra in months, so he said it was "hard to say" if Debra really is insane, as her defense would indicate. Nonetheless, the tactic caught him off guard.

"I was very surprised that was the direction they decided to take with the defense. Honestly I had thought in the back of my mind that they would have reached plea agreement of some sort. I'm not sure that it's the best strategy to take; I think it's risky," Owen offered. "I know it's a very difficult position to defend. As well, I know [Debra's attorney] John Fitzgibbons represented a doctor that killed his wife in Plant City in front of his children, and that was unsuccessful. I'm not expert, but I don't feel like this would be the best strategy to take."

As more evidence is released, Owen said it will be difficult for him to hear more details, and he does not plan to attend the trial.

Debra, he added, has yet to sign the final divorce papers.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote