View Single Post
Old 12-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #602
MIJB#19
Coordinator

General Manager Notes
Yes! We did it! Wo got the #10 pick!

Great deal, I think, to get the #10 pick.
We talked earlier with Tucker, but back then they offered the pick for a player I didn't want to lose. No names here, but it was a very interesting offer to get the #10 and a player I tried to get from Tucker for this one player.

Anyway, we got the pick afterall and I think it's a good deal. If my team is good in 2008, we give up a late 1st and two mid 2nd rounders for the #10 pick. What I like is that it was my initial offer that did it. I went on a rampage, thought I offered so much that the deal would be interesting, but also the maximum I could offer. The trade of second rounders in 2009 adds some gamble to the trade and to win the tie-breaker I offered to add a player who's expendable here, but in the end that player was taken off the trade.

What will we do with this pick?
Too early to tell, but we have a pressing need at offensive tackle. Both Hurtado and Grimaldo were old guys and replacing both in one season would be a problem. We got Cornelius Rice, he looks good, but I think I need a good #3 tackle, preferable a left tackle. There are a few good prospects in the draft, but I'm not too sold on any of them. Justin McDavid scouted his former college teammate Grant Bidwell and there's guys named Donald Cook and Anthony Jimenez in the draft class. And then, I could also opt to trade the pick for a player...

Our other need is clearly wide receiver, but that seems to be a hot commodity today. Especially with the draft class lacking a real stud. The top prospects Jonathan Adams and Travis Joseph look like late first rounders, but maybe they could go higher with this latest trend to go for wide receivers.

Quarterback? Who knows? It's the year of the quarterback already. Paris, Outer Banks, Conyers, Boston, Columbus, all traded their best quarterbacks already. And with about 10 prospects who could get into the starting caliber, it's tempting to try to get a high pick and use it on a quarterback. And here we sit, at #10, with a possible shot at getting a passer at Louie Flannery's level of potential...

Last, but not least, this is where I want to sit when the draft is about to start. #10 is a great position to be able to move up or down once we get going. And really, our needs are not guys who should go #10, but more like at #15 and #25.

I still have a trump card out there, in terms of free agency bids, but today I withdrew an offer on one of the two top free agents I sent out? Too early to tell who, I just hope to sign the other guy today. I think we stand a good chance with the offer we made, especially since there seems to be hardly any competition.

Oh, and we're working the phones 24/7 to trade Lane Stedman. With the acquisition of Brian Hammond, who is the 3rd heaviest player in the league, with the top two still being a free agent at the moment, we have no room for Stedman.

Oh, last thing, my astrological signs manager failed again. It seems that our new secondary leader Danny Person isn't going along well with our stud cornerback Tai Wayne. And sadly, our second in line for the role will be conflicting with Wayne as well. Great...

Oh, and then something I just found out. The Bordeaux Vineyards are bringing in Gerald Harris as their new running back. The other Harris earned All IHOF honors and has been the leading double-threat running back in the IHOF. Well, maybe expect for Huey Gervais, who Bordeaux traded earlier, and Billy 'Bam Bam' Jamerson from the Astoria Heroes.

Back to the phones, there might be more good news later this off-season. Or so I hope...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote