View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 07:58 PM   #300
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The game looks really nice. A lot of new stuff that really makes this a completely new game for me (5 years later). A couple of notes after simming in simulation mode from 1901 until 1919:

1. The biggest issue I've seen so far is the worrisome trend of players spending way too much time in the minors in the middle/end of their careers. Nap Lajoie made the HoF, but only played in the majors through 2008. He spent all of 2009, part of 2010, then all of 2011 through 2015 in the minors, getting 7 ABs in 2015 before retiring. He hit well over .300 in every minor league season, although admittedly, his averages had begun to decline around 2007. Still, he probably should have retired earlier.

Another strange one is Eddie Matteson, a reliever who pitched in the majors for 6 seasons, compiling a career ERA of 1.32. 1909 was his last season (1.64 ERA); he then spent the next decade in the minors before retiring in the spring of 1920. I don't get that one.

2. Since I mentioned Matteson, another thing I don't get is the all-time leader board. Matteson and his 239 career IP are atop the ERA leader board. Don't tell me a bunch of relievers and pinch-hitters are going to populate the Avg and ERA leaderboards. A bunch of guys from pre-1901 (I assume) lead the league in average, well over .300 each. Speed Kelly has a lifetime average of .410 in 527 ABs, and he's 6th in all-time average. Those aren't still there in 1980, are they?! Why are they even there now?!?!

3. FYI, it appears Babe Ruth comes in as a pitcher, so if you want him as a hitter, you probably need to begin around 1919 or so (haven't checked that specifically, but he did just win the 1919 Cy Young Award).
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote