View Single Post
Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 PM   #62
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDancer
Did you get your financial reward from the Championship title?

Will you include a brief preview (maybe break-down in categerios, "Elite (teams fighting for the title), 'Solid", "Avoiding Regelation") of the EPL?

Wow, the United finished 5th last year? Are they slidding (like Liverpool is in real-life), or just had an off-year? See Newcastle has come back strong after just nearly avoiding regulation the last few years. Also, is Southampton for real?

Here is a brief preview of the EPL:

Top Title Contenders:

1. Chelsea - They have won 5 consecutive titles. They have more money than ANYONE. They are the team to beat.

2. Arsenal - Despite finishing 3rd last year, I think they are clearly the 2nd strongest team. Thierry Henry is still a dangerous striker at 32 years old. They have young talent in Javier Saviola and Jose Antonio Reyes. Their goal keeping has been top notch the last few years. Their best players are aging, so they could slip.

3. Liverpool - They finished in 2nd place last year. Andres D'Alessandro is such an explosive scorer from the midfield. He doesn't show any signs of slowing down at 29 years old. They have a very solid midfield. Their defensive line is imporving with the recent acquisition of left fullback Gael Clichy. Chris Kirkland is a top notch keeper.

4. Manchester United - They finished 5th last year, but with my hopeful acquisitions and my keen management I believe we are a good title contender.

Second Tier:

Southampton - They finished in 4th and they are a rising team, but I don't see them as true threats to win the title. They don't have many truly elite stars. Their best player is striker James Beattie who is starting to slow down at 32 years old. I suspect they will slide a few spots this year.

Aston Villa - They finished 6th last year. They could surprise this year. They have a very talented striker who may be familiar to readers of the dynasty, Darius Vassell. The kid kept getting better and he has risen through the ranks over the years. Gareth Barry is still a good player. They also have a very good striker in Luke Moore.

Tottenham - They finished 7th last year. They rely on striker Jermain Defoe who is a top tier player. Keeper Paul Robinson has widely been recognized as the best English keeper in the last 3 years. Centerback Ledley King is a quality player.

Newcastle - They have a top notch striker in Lukas Podolski but Milan is trying to buy him away from them. If they sell him, they better get a player who is equally as talented. Otherwise, they will fall.

Middle of the Pack:

Middlesbrough - They finished in 9th last year. They have a bunch of good players, but no truly top notch players.

Birmingham City - They finished 10th last year. I expect them to finish lower this year. Their best player is french striker Rudy Carlier.

Fulham - They finished 11th last year. They have Milan Baros who is a very good striker. Collins John is an excellent partner for him. Their keeping is sketchy and they will likely need to beat opponents with wide open offense.

Blackburn - They finished 12th last year. They have a good duo at striker with Paul Gallagher and Jonathan Stead. Midfielder Barry Ferguson is an excellent all around midfielder. Their defense is shaky.

Will be fighting to avoid relegation:

Wigan - You should know all about them.

Reading - They finished 14th last year, but they could fall if breaks don't go their way. They don't have any superior players and they will need a great team effort to make it happen. Their best player may be former QPR player Wayne Routledge.

West Brom - They have a bit better chance at climbing towards the middle of the table and avoiding relegation. However, if striker Johan Elmander goes down with injury, this team will be in trouble. Their shaky goal keeping could also doom them. Federico Vilar is a shadow of himself, but he is their starting keeper.

Bolton - They have had a decreasing position each year for the last 3 years. They finished 15th last year. They will be relying on their duo of excellent midfielders in Roberto and Kevin Nolan. Striker Filipe Oliveira also has potential to be good.

Man City - They finished in 16th last year. They are getting old, and haven't done a good job in bringing in new talent. Their best players are all 30 or older. Striker Ryan Smith is 23 and could be a star that would fill some of the experience void that will inevitably hit.

Sunderland - They finished in 17th and barely avoided relegation last year. Marco Streller needs to play well at striker for them to score. Midfielder Chris Robson will also be very important.

Leicester - They came up with Wigan last year. If Dean Ashton can play well in the EPL, I think they will manage to stay up. That is a big IF.

Everton will need a great performance from it's very good midfield to avoid going back down. In particular Andy Reid and Tim Cahill will need to play well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote