View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 10:10 AM   #19
Grid Iron
Ice Cream Man

Ice Sign Veteran QB

Thomas Kuhn will start Week 11 divisional showdown

Week 10, 2006

Portland, OR (AP) - Just days before the Oregon Ice (6-3) hit the road for a Week 11 divisional showdown with the Seattle Thunderbirds (7-2), team general manager Grid Iron announced the signing of 34-year-old quarterback Thomas Kuhn. Kuhn, who signed a $930,000 one-year deal with a $100,000 signing bonus, played the last two seasons as a backup with the Boise Stampede and is expected to start Sunday.

The signing certainly wasn’t a surprise, since rookie QB Grant Grady (259 yards, 0 TD, 5 INT) has struggled starting the last two games for injured Maurice Brown. “We need some stability and experience heading into the home stretch,” said head coach Kendrick Upshaw.

Although Kuhn’s career numbers aren’t impressive (1,437 yards, 4 TD, 12 INT), he is considered a leader on the field (84 rating) and knows how to win. In 2005, he stepped in when Boise QB Branden Lin suffered a season-ending injury, and led the Stampede to a 5-1 record over the final six games to win the Ring of Ice Division. In last year's divisional playoff, Kuhn orchestrated a 53-yard game-winning drive with just 1:30 left on the clock in Boise’s 20-17 victory over Tucson. Although Boise lost to eventual CFL Bowl winner Honolulu in the WFC Championship, Kuhn had already made a statement.

“I play with my heart,” said the 6’1”, 208-pound Kuhn, who specializes in throwing the deep ball. “I’ve always been the underdog, and I love to prove people wrong.”

If history was any guide, Sunday’s game against Seattle would be an easy win for the Ice. Against the Thunderbirds, Oregon has won five of six, including the last four, and outscored the Thunderbirds 161 to 83. Kuhn himself beat Seattle on the road last year in Boise’s 34-9 victory in Week 17 to clinch the division title.

Unfortunately, the Seattle team Oregon will face on Sunday is not the same squad that finished the last three seasons with a combined 8-40 record. Seattle QB Charles Dever is having an MVP season (1,967 yards passing, 20 TD, 2 INT) and RB Burt Liskiewicz (539 yards rushing, 3 TD) is have a solid rookie campaign.

“It’s like comparing apples and oranges--they’re not the same team as they were over last three years,” said Grid Iron. “Aylmar’s put a great team together. We’re really gonna have to battle to get a win.”

Last edited by Grid Iron : 04-17-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Grid Iron is offline   Reply With Quote