View Single Post
Old 04-30-2005, 05:59 AM   #868
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Fans Choose Louie Flannery As Player Of The Year
The Maassluis Merchantmen are happy to announce the conclusion of an internet poll amongst Merchantmen fans to name their 2007 Player of the Year. With 70 percent of the votes, quarterback Louie Flannery was a run away winner in the voting. Flannery's leadership was highly praised after a 13-3 campaign, including the Europeran Division title and a second place overall in the Atlantic Ocean Conference. Charles Gomez and Randy Harris came in second and third place.

In a first reaction, Louie Flannery just thanks all the fans: "Thank you. We talked about it in the locker room a bit, but me being just a second year pro, I didn't expect this. Guys like Randy [Harris], [Charles] Gomez and Tai [Wayne] had the better story or long-term Merchantmen membership in their favor. I guess the fans go with the QB if a team wins and I'm grateful for the support. I just hope I can live up to expectations for next season."

"Flan' is the man!" Randy Harris said, "Louie makes this offense work, he's learned the system well and makes things work." The prolific running back has been starting every game for the Merchantmen since the IHOF started and should know. "We've had some fine quarterbacks on the team, but Flannery is a class on his own. I guess the fans see how much effort he gives with his ability to never give up."

Head coach Leroy Van Der Woude agreed with the choice: "The fans chose well. We've got a great team spirit amongst the players, but how Flannery picked up the leadership role is amazing. A second year quarterback who can lead a team to 14 wins in 18 games deserves recognition."

Defensive tackle Charles Gomez, who won the voting in 2006 and 2005 wasn't disappointed with the second place. Gomez said: "Football is all about team effort. The defense gains possession, special teams makes the field position better and the offense finishes it off. Flannery is the best quarterback I've worked with. The way how he came back after the struggles in his rookie year was awesome. I hope we can keep this flow going for several more seasons to come. With Flan', we can repeat and even go for more in 2008."

General manager and owner M.IJ.B. looks back to the day Flannery was drafted: "In our own tradition, we made a trade and got the guy we wanted. After we picked Flannery, I felt we found the right guy for the team. To be honest, my own vote went to Gomez, but I can feel good about Flannery being the fans' choice. Quarterbacks are the spot light players in this game and Flannery has proven he can be a top ten guy in this league."

It was only his second season, but the 'franchise quarterback' broke through in the 2008 season with a 14-4 record. Flannery set new franchise records in passing yards (3,768) and touchdowns (25). Flannery didn't miss a single down on offense for the entire season and also became the fulltime holder on kicking plays. After struggling with interceptions, Flannery got over it in the second half of the season and, according to team scouts, has already matured into a playoff calibre quarterback in his second year in the IHOF.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 04-30-2005 at 06:03 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote