View Single Post
Old 05-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #29
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1875-1876 Off Season

Letter from Jolyon Forsyte to Obie McCormick, owner Chicago
Mr. McCormick,

Your brother has asked me to contact you directly since he is no longer involved with the day-to-day operation of the Chicago Base Ball club.

When the Troy team was sold to the Saint Louis interest, your brother was especially generous to me in assuring I received top dollar for my club. I promised him if a player of exceptional ability came through our city, I would be sure to notify the Chicagos. Such a man is now on my Trojans squad.

He is the most arrogant man I have ever seen on the field of honor—calling himself “the King” and demanding all other do as well. He humiliates opponents when victory is well in had, confounds umpires with his encyclopedic knowledge of the rules, and chides mates who give anything less than all. Women swoon at his looks and men burn with envy not only at his talents, but his appetites that know no satisfaction. His passion for ball is only matched by his passion for drink.

But the passion for ball is unsurpassed by anyone I have ever seen on the field—including the famed Richardson of New York. Balls most backstops would allow to spirit away, he can pounce with cat quick reflexes. I’ve seen him throw unsuspecting runners out from a crouch at the second and third bases. His bat rivals Norman Lent, his legs always taking the extra base. Pity the opponent who fails to put all mind and spirit on the pitch

In Saint Louis or Cincinnati the Germans would only ply him with enough drink to make him tragic. In Boston he would be shunned as a sinner. And in New York, he would be lost among the multitude of vice. But in Chicago there is enough to keep him interested and not enough to lose his focus. He may struggle at the bat for a year or so against the best hurlers in the nation, but some humility would serve him—and only push him harder. In Chicago he will outshine all others; in Chicago he will become a star.

For the price of $200.00, I will gladly sell the contract of Aubrey Fraire and an assurance for first right of all players on my club for a period of five years. Please let me know your attitude.

Respectfully,
Jolyon Forsyte

The 20-year-old Aubrey Fraire would debut as the Browns backup catcher for the 1876 season.
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote