View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #29
Butter
Coordinator

For the first time, an agent of a young player sends us "video" of his client... this is John Carter, a 21 year old central midfielder currently playing for Hull. The video shows Carter scoring a brace and assisting on another goal in a 4-1 win for the English U-21 team over the Norway U-21's. Actually, he is valued at $6.4 million playing for Hull, and is making $1.4 million a year... no thanks. He doesn't have anywhere near the skill to demand such a salary, let alone for us to blow probably $8 million bidding on him. His midfield running mate, however, is a 20 year old DMC named Ryan Adams, who was named Man of the Match in this game, and has some splendid numbers. He has a minimum fee release clause of $8.8 million playing for Wolves. I'll keep my eye on Adams, and politely turn down Carter's agent.

Aston Villa tap former Canadian national team and Coventry City head man Frank Yallop to take the reins at the London club.

Nov. 23, Champions League Match Day 5 - Televised
Posh are 1st in Group C
v. Young Boys (1-1-2, 3rd place in Group C)
Fav: Posh, 4:5

Away on int'l duty: Alex, Arenas
Injured: Cole, Mascherano, Mokoena
Grant will have to be our sole keeper on the squad today, and considering his recent morale, it doesn't inspire hope in me. Also, this team nearly beat us in Switzerland in our first encounter, so I'm a bit nervous about this one despite being made the large odds-on favorite. A point or an AC Milan loss clinches our place in the next round.
Lineup:
GK: Grant
Def: Jensen, Marcos, Svensson, Sarr
Mid: Jesus, Fernandes, Bellomo, Kranjcar
Str: Mngomeni, Vagner

Not much action early, as Young Boys are holding people back, preparing for an offensive onslaught. They must not do much scouting.

25'- Marcos with a great ball down the left for Fernandes, he crosses to Mngomeni, who shoots from 12 yards.... off the crossbar!

27'- Fernandes with a free kick from near the sideline, 20 yards off the end line... he crosses to the back post... the Swiss keeper is off his line and trying to corral it, but Mngomeni heads it in behind him! Great goal by the South African giving us a 1-0 lead!

31'- A Young Boys defender gets a yellow card for a tackle on Mngomeni... then about 45 seconds later, he gets his second yellow for arguing an offsides call! We go a man up for the final hour.

33'- Fernandes with a 25 yard free kick... just tipped wide!

36'- Fernandes' 45 yard free kick comes to Marcos in the arc... he turns and bends one toward the right post, tipped aside! 2 great saves in 4 minutes by the Young Boys keeper.

Lunt on for a tired Fernandes at halftime.

59'- Young Boys with their first good chance, as forward Thomas Remy hits a 25 yarder toward the far corner, but it's too high.

66'- Mngomeni's 25 yard shot is deflected away, then kicked long out of the back... Marcos misreads the flight of the ball, and nearly allows a walk-in on Grant... luckily Grant comes 10 yards outside of the box and clears it into touch.

73'- The Young Boys just can't stop yelling at the referee... this time, it's substitute Pat (yes, just Pat) who gets his 2nd yellow for dissent inside 7 minutes, and we go 2 men up against the Swiss.

As time runs down, the crowd starts applauding the Posh, as we've punched our ticket for the First Knockout Round! Mngomeni and Marcos pick up 8's, as the Young Boys keeper gets man of the match for keeping us to just a single goal.

Win, 1-0, clinch Group C
Shots/on target: Posh 10/5, Young Boys 4/1
Poss: 50-50
A: 13,588

Deportivo and Milan play to a scoreless draw, giving us a runaway group win. Luckily for us, our fate will NOT depend on our trip to the San Siro.

We pick up another $400k for the win.