View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 02:07 PM   #39
Izulde
Head Coach

October 12th 1083: County of Agder

The unthinkable had happened.

Enraged at their loss of power, the clergy in the County of Agder had banded together with some of the pious peasantry to form a holy citizen army. Just over a hundred strong, they now marched upon the dwelling of Torstein and his court, brandishing whatever means of weapons they could find along the way.

"Do away with them, Trond" Torstein was bored with these rebellions and hoped they would end soon.

And so Trond rode out with his men to do battle with the fanatically devout rebels.

But this was not the end of troubles, for on October 29th, while the battle was still being waged in Agder, the ever-active rebels in Mide struck yet again. Now two rebellions were being waged simultaneously.

Would this domestic strife ever end for Torstein?

The revolts proved to be more than a minor annoyance, however, as the Agderese priest-led army was destroyed by the 3rd of November and by November 22nd, Mide's rebels had likewise been crushed.

March 18th 1085: Duchy of Smaland

The local church gonged its wedding bells, the courtyard filled to overflowing with all manner of people, from the Smalese citizens to every Scandanavian noble worthy of mention.

On this day, Duke Knut Stenkil, son of King Erik and Queen Thora of Sweden, was wed. Though just sixteen years old, the young noble was adored and loved by his subjects, hailed as a true hero to the Swedish people. The very model of a great Christian ruler, his grasp of military affairs, diplomacy, and finances were all quite remarkable and many hoped that it would be he that would succeed King Erik. Already he was second-in-line to the throne, behind the somewhat discontent Duke of Uppland, who had expressed displeasure at the nepotism.

Curiously enough, Duke Knut, though given freedom to choose his own bride, had decided to marry a girl of quite meagre talents, much as his father had when he married Thora so many years ago. Even in spite of this fact, or perhaps because of it, the King and Queen of Sweden gave their blessing, and so Knut was married to Alfhild Eka, a Swedish courtier.

Among those attending the ceremony and following reception was none other than the Count of Three Counties, Torstein of Agder. Some murmured their apprehension at seeing the cruel boy in their midst, though none spoke of it in earshot of the Norwegian noble.

During the reception, the groom spotted his best friend and smiled, crossing through the crowd to join him, "Do you have a moment, Torstein?"

"Always for you, Knut."

So saying, the two young men slipped away to a secluded grove, out of the range of hearing of the revelers.

Once there, the new Duke of Smaland picked up a small stone, rolling it around in his fingers a few moments before he spoke.

"Father will see to it that I am King after he joins our Lord in Heaven, I am sure. I will rule over Sweden fairly and justly and make it one of the greatest kingdoms in all of Europe.

Torstein nodded in silence, though a lance of pain drove through him at hearing the words. Already he felt a divide opening between himself and his closest coeval. He had already lost his father and his favourite tutor. Must he now lose his dearest friend of his own age as well?

Seeing the stress in his friend's eyes, Knut stepped forward and pressed the warm stone into Torstein's white hand, his grey eyes solemn.

"And when I am King, I hope that you will be King, too. We will ally then, Torstein, and together we will drive the infidels from Europe! A new, great Christian Empire will be forged out of the ashes of the pagan and Moorish strongholds! We will reclaim Jeruselam and drive out the Saracens! Together, you and I, side by side!"

Silence was Torstein's immediate answer as he accepted the stone. What did he care for a Christian Empire? He had some time ago forsworn God and even made an oath that he would drive the Pope out of Rome. Still, there was something in Knut's eyes that touched Torstein in a way he hadn't been since Gudrod died...

"How am I to be King, Knut? Olaf's family is strong and they will not give up the throne! I'm not even Duke yet, like you are!"

A smile touched the Duke of Smaland's lips as he leaned in and grasped the Tri-Count's fisted hands.

"Ireland, Torstein. You will have enough money in a few years to proclaim yourself the Duke of Meath. Then you must wage war against the other Dukes until you are able to make yourself the one true King of Ireland. Then, after you are crowned, we will unite! I swear it!"

Torstein swallowed, fighting back the sting of tears that brushed on the edges of his eyes. He must not cry, he must not cry.. he must not show weakness here. Opening his palm and displaying the stone, his voice became no more than a hoarse whisper.

"Then let us swear this oath together, Knut! Let us become blood brothers here and now, forever bound together!"

Knut smiled once more, his eyes glittering with happiness, "Yes, let us!"

Three minutes later, Duke Knut Stenkil of Smaland had become eternally bound for the second time that day.

The visionary wish Queen Thora had so many years before was now one step closer to becoming a reality.

Torstein's best friend comes of age

Knut's new wife

The current heir to the Swedish throne

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote