View Single Post
Old 07-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #114
Izulde
Head Coach

April 23rd 1098: Duchy of Meath

"These are our terms, Your Grace. Allow us monopoly over the moneylending business and give us preference in other areas of business and we will see to it that the O'Donnells are bankrupted out of Dublin and forced back into Mide whence they came."

Torfinn mulled over Kerry O'Malley's proposal for a few moments. The O'Malleys were the chief rival of the O'Donnells and battles in the streets of the counties Mide and Dublin had become something of local legend. Hearing of them and reading of his forebearers' troubles with the O'Donnell faction, he had summoned the patriarch of the O'Malleys, Kerry, to negotiate terms for ridding Dublin of his own family's nemesis.

"Yes, I will accept your terms. The rats must be driven out of our garden", declared the Duke at last.

A smile creased the wrinkles in the white-haired merchant prince's face as he bowed to Torfinn.

"You will not regret this, Your Grace."

And so the O'Donnells went bankrupt, helpless against the Duke's official sponsorship and support of the O'Malleys. Yet, the deal had an unintended consequence, for the clergy, seeing the monopoly and the heavy-handed practice for what it was, denounced Torfinn from the pulpits, causing the people to think the Duke less pious.

June 22nd 1098: Duchy of Meath

"I demand to receive recognition and a sum of money worthy for one of my prestige and abilities! If you do not do as I ask, then I will leave this court and take my son with me!"

Marshal Loigsech Ui Mordha's voice thundered through the hall as he uttered his ultimatum, his arms stiff against his powerful body.

Torfinn frowned. The treasury was still not even close to being recovered from the ill-fated war in Silves. On the other hand, Loigsech was related to the Ui Mordhas who had formerly been Dukes of Leinster and hence a useful chip in keeping the family stuck on the Isle of Man. Furthermore, he was viewed as more prestigious, more pious, and was certainly more wealthy than the Duke himself.

Clinching the deal in the end was the fact that Loigsech was simply too good a courtier to let go. A superlative Marshal, he was the first true military genius that had ever served in the of Agder court. There was really no choice in the matter but to accept.

"As you wish, Marshal" Torfinn announced at last with raised head, "We offer you the sum of seven and a half goldoons in recognition of your talents, bravery, and reknown."

Loigsech grinned and stepped forward to clap the Duke on the back, "That's my boy. Now let's go and see about having some grog at the tavern, eh?"

Torfinn's eyes narrowed at the presumption and familiarity, but for the moment, he allowed it to slide.

The chance would come for retribution for the lack of respect soon enough, he reasoned.

Be real nice to have an heir even half as good as this guy

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote