View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #139
SelzShoes
High School Varsity

1879-1880 Offseason

From “True Sport: William Temple and the Columbia Association” (1987)
Unfortunately, records of the 1880 owner’s meetings do not exist; but what is clear the direction of the Association had shifted. Saint Louis and Louisville, two of the most rebellious franchises were now in the hands of cousins of Temple.

”I can do with my franchise what I see fit.”
“Not if it violates the League Charter, which you signed.”
“Then enforce your damn charter, see where simple words gets you—you New York dunderpate.”
“Michael, get me my cheque book—I’ll buy the lot of you out.”
“You sir are daft.”
”How much—How much do you require to leave my sight for good?”
“I’ll take $7,000.”
“And you, Jackson, how much to get rid of the likes of you as well.”
“The same.”
”Good, now neither of you need come back. And the rest of you who think you are above the rules; step right up so I can wash my hands of your filthy devious ways.”

Temple understood for the Association to supplant the Empire as the preeminent baseball league in America, bold steps were needed.

”But that is why I left the Empire, I can not afford such salaries.”
“The public views us as a glorified regional league; we must buy the best talent from the Empire.”
“Still, $2,500 for a ballplayer—is that realistic?”

Even more than the bidding war he encouraged his fellow owners to engage in, the most radical idea was yet to come.

”I still don’t understand how owning these smaller clubs helps us.”
”If we own the regional teams, we can funnel the best players to our clubs—the Empire will wither and die for lack of talent.”
“Seems very risky to invest that much money just to try and drive someone out of business.”
“Vertical intergration—it is all the rage in industry; why can it not work for us.”
SelzShoes is offline   Reply With Quote