View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I meant to continue the unlimited roster note earlier, but I've been busy.

About half of the Red Roper squad is playing on another team right now. The current Roper team isn't very happy about that. At all. There are still some good ball players on the the team, but almost all of the power in the lineup is now playing on the other team.

It's been almost 48 hours, so we'll see what happens when the dust settles in a few hours. I'm not sure if some of them will return to the Red Roper squad this season or not.

Our first game, as luck would have it, was at spacious Field 2. We joke about drawing straws to see who plays where, but I end up at shortstop eventually. I played shortstop most of the first season last year, but moved to second base and the outfield in the second half last year. The first season this year I played in six different positions for the Scrubs.

We led off the game and it was a circus from the start. I batted 6th, and by the time I got up, there were none out and a runner on first. First pitch is short. The next was there and I foul it back behind the plate. Grondin gets onto me...I got excited to see it and started chopping my feet. Ball outside, and then I hit a groundball to the shortstop, who boots it. Safe at both bases. I later score on a base hit.

I come up again the same inning, with runners at 1st and 3rd, this time with 2 out. First pitch swinging and I hit to second, and the fielder throws it away. I end up at second, and score the final run of the inning. The count, 14-0 going into the bottom of the first.

Bottom of the first, and the first batter hits a ball to me. Off the glove and to the third baseman, but we don't get him out.

Chief Grondin, the pitcher, played for my team in the fall last season, and he jokes that I always make an error in a game, and that he's glad I got it out of me. I tell him I owe him one.

The next batter smokes a line drive that I dive and catch. I sling the ball to first, and get the runner diving back to the bag. I tell Grondin I don't owe him anything now. A few walks later another grounder comes my way. I was going to take the put out myself at second, but the second baseman beat me to the bag. I flip it to him to end the inning. 14-0.

I didn't get to bat in the second, but the lineup swung around to me. I'll leadoff the 3rd.

The only ball that was hit to me here I flipped to second for a force out...but got my second baseman injured in the process when the runner didn't slide. Base rule says the runner has to slide or otherwise get out of the way to protect himself and the fielder. My second baseman is afraid he tore something in his knee. He's done it before, so I'm a little concerned.

3rd inning, and it's a new pitcher. I lead off with a solid double to left center, and later score. I come up again later in the inning and single, picking up an RBI in the process. By the time the inning is over, it's 30-0.

Bottom 3, and I pick up another line drive out and an over the shoulder catch on a blooper. The Ropers joke that I should have played short for them this past season. A fellow St. Louisan calls me Eckstein.

Top 4, and I get up with no one on and 1 out. The first pitch was a bit inside, but the umpire called it a strike. I take a deep breath and forcefully blow it out and shake my head. The umpire responds, "You're up by enough, you need to swing."

I go into protect mode and swing and the next two garbage pitches, fouling both off and head to the dug out...I'm out.

The score going into the bottom of the 4th is 33-0, three outs and we're finished because of the mercy rule. As Grondin comes out of the dugout, I remind him of last year. Last year, we were beating a team by the mercy rule, and Grondin served up junk to the other team. He must have walked 12 that inning. We allowed two grand slams. They end up tieing the game in that inning, and later beat us the next inning, the final inning of the game.

I told Grondin not to be comfortable. In this inning, I take a throw from the second baseman (we subbed the injured man out earlier) for a force to end the game. Final score, 33-1.

A busy game in the field for me.

Final tally: 2-5, with a double. One RBI, 3 runs scored. In the field, 3 putouts, 4 assists, 1 error.