View Single Post
Old 08-10-2005, 07:32 AM   #59
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

...in 3, 2, finger point for 1 and then points to me....

Hello and welcome to Panathinaiko Stadium in beautiful Greece. We are here for a very rare event - a stand alone decathlon. This event is not part of the Olympics or World Championships, it's not even a regional meet. But this event was so large that ESPN had to be on hand (well it was this or reruns of Tilt). After much anticipation the FOFC Decathlon begins today. Sixteen world class athletes have entered, and the competition should be extremely tight. The ironic thing is...this if the first time any of these decathletes has faced off in head-to-head competition. Despite the fact they are all outstanding performers - they've never met on the field of play. That makes predicting a winner - next to impossible. The participants include:

Persimmon Pflaggstettler - New Zealand - this guy is a very consistent performer, solid across the board, the only thing he lacks is natural athletic ability, but his technique is so strong he's typically able to overcome that weakness.

Darius Lesgettham - Canada - Darius is dangerous in quite a few events, but his endurance is lacking, we'll have to see how much that affects him throughout this event.

David Yellope
- Great Britain - David is a guy who isn't exceptionally fast, strong or athletic, so you'd think he would be a consistent performer, and in fact, he views himself in that way, but ironically he actually scores quite well in a few events and comes up short in a couple others. Much more up and down than you would think he should be.

Deacon Palmer - Malawi - This African performer, who is the brother of the Country's Prime Minister is also a 5 time Pan-African champion. Not overly fast or powerful, but extremely fit and athletic, Palmer hopes to survive the first couple events then make a charge.

Al Mighty
- Ireland - Mighty is technically perficient and very solid across the board, but he doesn't excel in any 1 area and that may hurt him in the long run.

David Gonzalez
- Mexico - Gonzalez claims most of his training comes from fleeing from boarder patrol agents, but ironically, it's not endurance or even speed that make him a tough competitor it's athletic ability and power.

Marvin Mello - USA - The first of several US athletes, Mello recently signed an endorsement deal with Mello Yello. He uses the sugar and caffiene to generate quick bursts of energy and the strange technique works well for him in the early events, then he seems to hit a wall. I'm sure he's hoping for an early lead that he can cling to, and hopefully his heart won't explode during the event.

Brian Babson - Australia - The former boxer, former golfer has decided to give track and field a try, saying, "I got tired of getting hit in the face and missing 3 foot putts." He's actually much better than people expected him to be, having great speed, power and technique. He competes for Australia because his last golf event was held there, and he failed to win enough money to return home. Surprisingly, his endurance is lacking, his comment when confronted by that question is "I did enough road work for a lifetime when I was a boxer" and of course "if you ask me about it again, I'll kick your ass."

Kyle Kappe - Holland - Kappe is fast, athletic and technically sound. However, his power and endurance are lacking. Kappe is another one to watch in the early events.

Vladislav Ivanov - Russia - Russia's lone entry into the event follows a long line of successful decathletes. the Russian national champion was selected at a young age for track and field, and has blossomed ever since. He has been accused of using performance enhancers but has never tested positive. He says there is no truth to the rumor that if he doesn't get a medal in this event he'll be executed when he returns, "No way, this is the 21st Century, we only did that in the 20th."

Brendan A Eckberg - Sweden - The former Rugby player with a hot temper is a tough customer, and most of his game is built around power. Look for him to do well in the Shot Putt.

Kem Soldier - USA - Athletic, technical and a guy that can run forever. Kem is built differently that most of the other competitors, so I expect he will make quick jumps up the leaderboard when we get to events where he excels, because he excels in many events the other contestents are weak in.

Stan Gunner - USA - Power and technique will have to carry Stan if he's going to find himself on the medal platform. His interesting training techniques, designed by his father, have worked well for him so far...and I believe he may actually be strong enough and technically proficient enough...to win. That would not only make his father proud, but also rich as other athletes will flock to his home for training.

Vex Elli - USA - about as consistent as it comes. He may not win a single event, but he easily could win the gold medal.

S.F.L. Cat - USA - The guy refuses to say why he has 4 names and simply goes by letters on the first 3, but regardless...he's a good decathlete. He is not good in the middle events of either day so he needs to do well in events 1, 5, 6, and 10 if he hopes to win.

Jeff Nights - USA - Jeff is an up and down peformer. He could literally win 5 events, and come in last in 4 others. It's a dangerous mix, can he perform good enough in his 5 strong events to overcome his 4 weak ones?

I have gone back and looked at some scores that each competitor posted in other meets and I've come up with a high level best guess list of who should perform well and who should perform poorly in each event.

100 Meters
Strong: Lesgettham, Yellope, Mello, Babson, Kappe, Ivanov
Weak: Palmer, Mighty, Gonzalez, Gunner, Nights

Long Jump
Strong: Lesgettham, Mello, Babson, Kappe, Gunner
Weak: Palmer, Soldier, Cat

Shot Putt
Strong: Pflaggstettler, Gonzalez, Mello, Babson, Eckberg, Gunner, Nights
Weak: Yellope, Soldier, Cat

High Jump
Strong: Gonzalez, Gunner, Nights
Weak: Mello, Ivanov, Cat

400 Meters
Strong: Yellope, Ivanov, Soldier, Cat
Weak: Lesgettham, Mighty, Gonzalez, Babson, Kappe, Eckberg, Gunner, Nights

110 Meter Hurdles
Strong: Lesgettham, Babson, Kappe, Soldier, Elli, Cat
Weak: Pflaggstettler, Ivanov, Eckberg, Nights

Discus
Strong: Pflaggstettler, Nights
Weak: Yellope, Cat

Pole Vault
Strong: Nights
Weak: Mello, Cat

Javelin
Strong: Gunner, Nights
Weak: Soldier, Cat

1500 Meters
Strong: Yellope, Palmer, Soldier, Cat
Weak: Pflaggstettler, Lesgettham, Mighty, Gonzalez, Mello, Babson, Kappe, Eckberg, Gunner, Nights

Now that assessment is just high level and a number of things need to be taken into consideration, but at least if give you an idea of what to expect and who to watch in each event. I'll be explaining the events and rules to you shortly so stay tuned....[fade out audio]

Announcer voice: this event is brought to you by EA Sports - when it's in the game it's in the game. Mello Yellow - you can buzz like Marvin too, and Bullzeye Putters - even Babson can make the short ones with a bullzeye.

[fade to black - cut to commercial]

Last edited by Breeze : 08-10-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote