View Single Post
Old 08-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #135
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Two comments from me:

1. We New Orleanians generally consider our city to have only half a million people. We just don't count the additional areas that are included in the metro area (Metairie, Kenner, Harahan, St. Bernard Parish). I'm new to Greensburg, but there don't really seem to be any major cultural differences between people in Greensburg and people in Jeannette (5 miles away) and the people in Irwin (8 miles away). New Orleans is completely different. Adjacent cities and areas have completely different personalities and practically different cultures. To me, New Orleans has x number of people, Kenner has y number of people, Harahan has z number of people, etc. I don't really know if the media understand that, but when they say that New Orleans only has 485,000 people, it makes sense to me.

2. Also, regarding the "contra-flow" system, the cameras I've seen have shown the interstate between Causeway Blvd. and Clearview Blvd. This is a 4- or 5-mile stretch of interstate with no entrances or exits in between. You really can't get people onto the other lanes right there. You have to do it at the points that actually lead out of the city, and that's what contra-flow is designed to do. The point is pretty much moot now, though, because they have to get the police officers who are monitoring the interstate out of the area. At any minute now, New Orleans will be completely shut down.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 08-28-2005 at 04:17 PM.