View Single Post
Old 09-07-2005, 10:44 AM   #249
hoopsguy
General Manager

Five engineers - is there any reason we should not have all work on repairing the engine today? I don't see any if there is not any other equipment damaged. They don't have the luxury of defending. Will taking this action leave them exhausted or will a night action of sleep address this concern?

Away team - we had 19.7 units of water, but should have consumed 5.25 last night (.25 * 21). So we have 14.5 (rounding) units of water, which is not quite enough to last for three days. I think we need to keep accumulating water. I just would not send engineers to get the water today.

If none of the engineers are spawn then we should see five days worth of work done repairing and get us close to lift-off. If any of the engineers are spawn and decide to fake duties then we collect that information. I would be leery of jaking it if I were a spawn because I would not necessarily want to attract attention even if it is to a group of five.

We didn't hear any screams in the night - what are the odds that conversions are silent?

Also, on a spawn attack, I don't see conversion listed as an option - only failed attack, wounded, and killed.

On a spawnling attack, there is a chance to become infected. The spawnlings evolve into spawn if not detected but we don't know for sure how many (if any) spawnlings start in the game. However, there is a 10% chance of becoming spawnling when participating in an Away Team Mission.

Barkeep, have a couple of questions:
1. After lift-off, no new survivors can become infected. Does the mean that spawnling attacks can no longer infect?
2. What is the rate of leaking? Is this a fixed rate or does it depend on the amount of damage sustained by the water tank?
3. I assume we still need water after lift-off - but how do we get it at that time? Are we still doing Away Team Missions?
4. Does the game start with a Spawn Queen and a Hive Mind? These roles are not listed under the "Unevolved Spawn" group which leads me to believe they are initial roles.
5. Do the spawns have "exhausted" as well? It seems like they do based on the "Mind Leech" description. If so, do spawn/spawnling attacks exhaust the spawns? This would make them less likely to attack on back-to-back nights.

If there were no kills (or wounds) last night and there were no assets damaged then it sounds like the spawn were pretty unlucky with their efforts. Or they are just waiting us out, letting us perform duties that exhaust us and then looking to attack tonight. I think this is a pretty feasible action for them based on the lack of voting.

Assuming the answer to #4 above is "yes" then I would guess that the game started with at least the two defined spawns, and one undefined spawn (to make up the council). I'm not convinced that a spawnling starts the game, although I suppose that would make sense.

Since the spawn attack success rates are variable depending on the number of spawn involved, I'm guessing that they act independently and can kill/wound/convert more than one person per evening. Which makes it less likely that they are starting with big numbers, even with the non-standard victory conditions.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote