View Single Post
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #82
Coder
College Prospect

I'm about half-way through the third book now and it's simply _the_ best fantasy I've ever read.. not that it's a huge accomplishment (I'm not really a fantasy buff). But not only is it excellent fantasy, it's awesomely written as a whole. He's simply a brilliant author. He's got that extra touch that so many "popular" authors lack.. his books are exciting while reading, and they're not just 500 pages of transport until they finally "break out".

His foreshadowing, his attention to detail, the way he drops little hints but doesn't really open those issues up just yet is fantastic.. some authors who have great ideas sort of hint a little but then don't have the patience to wait and stretch the reader's imagination, and instead tosses out what could have been an awesome surprise a little later.. take Jon for example.. we've known that there's a mystery with his ancestry since the first chapter of the first book.. we get a little hint here and a little hint there, but Martin isn't giving us the whole cake just yet.

From the beginning I was considering waiting for the paperback of A Feast for Crows, but now I simply can't wait. October 17th is the European release date for the hardback and I'm buying... can't wait until next spring for the paperback.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote