View Single Post
Old 09-24-2005, 07:43 AM   #31
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thinking about cohesion, the problem here is that is really doesn't take much of anything to give a player an idea that he is worth slightly more than minimum salary. I have given up detailing all the solid-looking players in free agency who would be great signings, but who demand something like $80,000 or $120,000 in bonus, and that difference makes them completely uinsiognable by us under these rules. So, I am routinely signing guys who are marginal players at best to 2 or 3 year deals... and most of them, even the guys who don't get a lot of playing time (my 4th or 5th WR, my 5th or 6th DB, my 7th or 8th LB) end up asking for a little bit more in their next contract. It just doesn't look like I could really count on getting the same guys back for a second straight contract (and thereby boosting cohesion) unless I resort to players who have practically no measurable skills at all. And at that point, I'd be trying to win basically with nothing but cohesion.

Maybe there is a middle ground -- I speculated about trying to have a "base" of players who would be no-talent long termers, and then seed in a few decent players around them. Maybe the OL or DL would be a good place to try this. Sign a few guy with no skill but who would re-sign, build cohesion, and presumably contribute toward affinities -- if I had three or four such guys at OL and three or four such guys on the D7, that might help things along, without killing us in overall talent. Maybe... a little extra work, but it might be the only way to win here.

Last edited by QuikSand : 09-24-2005 at 07:44 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote