View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 05:50 AM   #127
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

The National Herald - Wednesday, April 11th

SPORTS

Code:
NEGRO LEAGUE I AT TURN OF CENTURY Ones............ 3 0 1 0 1 0 1 2 0 - 8 10 0 Centurions...... 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 3 7 0 Win:Smith(1-0) Loss:Joss(0-1) Homeruns- O.Charleston-3(5th) Oscar Charleston cracked 3 homeruns and Hilton Smith allowed Dusty Baker to rest his bullpen, tossing a complete game at Yellowstone Park as the Negro League I Ones beat the Turn of Century Centurions by the count of 8 to 3. Charleston propelled Negro League I to victory. He delivered a solo blast in the 3rd inning, smashed a bases-empty 'big-fly' in the 5th inning and ripping a solo home run (his 5th of the season) in the 7th inning. Negro League I managed 10 in their victory. The victory was credited to Smith(1-0) who went the distance, allowing 3 runs. Addie Joss(0-1) was the loser. He served up 3 homeruns in his 9 innings. 'I've spent a lot of time in the cage and made some adjustments and they've paid off,' Charleston said. 'I just take the same approach up there. I don't overanalyze it. I go up there, see the ball and try to put a good swing on it.' LATE 20TH AT AL PRE WWII Modern Stars.... 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 2 1 - 4 6 0 Pre-Americans... 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 1 - 3 8 0 Win:Smoltz(2-0) Loss:Gomez(0-2) Save:Gossage(4th) Homeruns- A.Simmons(1st), B.Dickey(3rd) 33,831 fans were treated to a fine game at Glory Stadium as only one run separated the combatants at game's end. The Late 20th Modern Stars won by the slimmest of margins, 4 to 3. John Smoltz(2-0) slammed the door shut in an excellent relief performance. He did not allow a baserunner in his 1/3 of an inning. Late 20th had only 6 hits for the game. Goose Gossage was credited with his 4th save. Lefty Gomez(0-2) was hit with the loss. He pitched 9 innings allowing 6 hits and 6 walks. CARIBBEAN AT NL POST WWII Estrellas....... 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 - 4 11 0 Post-Nationals.. 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 - 3 7 0 Win:Valenzuela(1-0) Loss:Bunning(0-2) Save:Salazar(1st) Homeruns- M.Gonzalez(2nd) Catcher Miguel Gonzalez connected with a 'big fly' and had 2 RBI at Big League Field where the Caribbean Estrellas beat the NL Post WWII club 4 to 3. Caribbean erupted with the game winning runs in the top of the 8th inning scoring 2 runs utilizing 2 base hits. Antonio Pacheco opened up the inning nicely when he laced a one-base hit. Omar Linares followed, but he was set down on strikes. After another out, Gonzalez came to the plate and cleared the fences for a two-run home run (his 2nd of the season). NL Post WWII threatened in the 9th but Caribbean was able to put down the rally. The win was credited to Fernando Valenzuela(1-0) who went 2 innings allowing 1 run. Valenzuela got relief help from Lazaro Salazar who gained credit for his 1st save. Jim Bunning(0-2) was the losing pitcher in relief. He pitched 2 innings and surrendered 4 hits and no walks. NL PRE WWII AT AL POST WWII Pre-Nationals... 0 1 0 6 7 1 0 0 1 - 16 19 0 Post-Americans.. 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 - 4 11 1 Win:Rixey(2-0) Loss:Hunter(1-1) Homeruns- P.Waner(1st), R.Hornsby(2nd), J.Mize(2nd), G.Hartnett-2(3rd), P.Traynor(4th) Catcher Gabby Hartnett blasted 2 homeruns and had 3 RBI and Eppa Rixey went the distance as the NL Pre WWII ballclub ballclub embarrassed the AL Post WWII team by the count of 16 to 4. Hartnett had a big day against AL Post WWII. He doubled in the 2nd inning, smashed a two-run homer in the 5th inning and smashed a solo-shot out of the park (his 3rd of the season) in the 6th inning. NL Pre WWII bats were very productive in the 4th inning which saw them plate 6 runs on 4 hits and the 5th inning with 7 runs on 7 hits. NL Pre WWII had 19 hits for the night. Rixey(2-0) was the winner allowing 4 runs for the game. The loss was charged to Catfish Hunter(1-1). He was knocked around by NL Pre WWII, allowing 7 hits and 3 walks in 3 and 1/3 innings. DEAD BALL ERA AT LEFT OUTS Ghosts.......... 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 - 4 8 1 Leftovers....... 0 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 - 2 4 0 Win:Plank(1-1) Loss:Sutton(0-1) Homeruns- H.Heilmann(2nd) Eddie Plank delivered 9 solid innings as the Dead Ball Era Ghosts defeated the Left Outs Leftovers by a score of 4 to 2 at Overshadow Pk. Dead Ball Era went ahead for good in the 6th inning plating an isolated run on 2 hits. The Left Outs bats were silent in the bottom of the 9th. The win was credited to Plank(1-1) who went the whole way allowing 2 runs. The losing pitcher was Don Sutton(0-1). He surrendered 4 runs and 8 hits in 8 innings. 'I've been working on a few things in my delivery, and I think I'm hitting a good groove.' Plank said after the game. 'I'm ready to start another game tomorrow!' NEGRO LEAGUE II AT OLD TIMERS Twos............ 1 0 1 0 0 2 0 0 2 - 6 11 0 Ancients........ 1 6 0 2 0 9 0 0 - 18 18 1 Win:Welch(1-1) Loss:Brewer(0-2) Homeruns- E.Delahanty(1st), C.Anson(1st) Ed Delahanty cracked a homer and had 7 RBI at Cow Pasture Field as the Old Timers Ancients embarrassed the Negro League II Twos by the lopsided score of 18 to 6. Delahanty was in a groove all evening. He hit a bases-empty home run (his 1st of the season) in the 1st inning, doubled plating two runs in the 4th inning and doubled plating all three baserunners in the 6th inning. Old Timers bats were hot in the 2nd inning when they had 6 runs on 3 hits and the 6th inning with 9 runs on 10 hits. Old Timers ended up with 18 hits for the game while Negro League II had 11. Mickey Welch(1-1) went 8 and 2/3 innings allowing 6 runs for the victory. Chet Brewer(0-2) was charged with the loss. 'Actually, I didn't feel that comfortable at the plate today' Delahanty said after the game. 'Despite that, I'm happy with the results! JAPANESE LEAGUE AT FOFC HOF Players..... 0 2 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 - 3 8 0 All Stars....... 0 1 2 1 0 0 0 0 - 4 8 0 Win:Hunter(1-1) Loss:Nomo(0-2) Save:Kronside(1st) Homeruns- H.Nomo(1st), J.Potpie(1st), K.Ton(1st) One run was the difference at FOFC Stadium as the FOFC All Stars defeated the Japanese League HOF Players 4 to 3. Owen Hunter(1-1) delivered a fine performance for Hunter. He went 7 innings surrendering 7 hits and 3 walks. After the 4th inning, neither team was able to score. Jace Kronside got the save, his 1st. Hideo Nomo(0-2) absorbed the loss. He gave up 4 runs and 7 hits in 6 innings.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote