View Single Post
Old 11-10-2005, 12:19 PM   #9
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
And of the three, the one that gives me the most pause is the last one.

Seriously, tho, let's play the "let's remember what it was like to be that age" game. Did you have any idea how the world worked? I'm pretty sure I used my stupid AOL email address from back in the day just because it wasn't my parent's email address and I still got into any public school I applied to (ok, fish in a barrel) as well as Carnegie Mellon and Case Western. Granted, at that point, being online was a bit of an accomplishment as that was back in the days of paying by the hour to be online.

Regardless, these are kids, yes kids, interviewing for college not someone looking for a big time job. And, most likely, someone (ie a parent or teacher) hasn't told them they should have a more professional email address because in their mind "this is what I'm known as in the anonymous online so what's the big deal".

Cut the kids a little slack- if they're bright and just a little of a dim bulb in the way the world works outside of their little world, that's a little bit of a warning sign, but no reason to toss them off the pile. Everyone had a bit of culture shock heading off to school and started to realize how things worked. If you wanted to find something wrong with every application, I'm sure you could.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote