View Single Post
Old 12-10-2005, 10:46 AM   #38
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Recruiting, IMO, while having great depth, seems a little jumbled, no? There just seems to be alot of stuff all over the place instead of being succinctly and strategically placed for my enjoyment. no?
It felt that way at first, until I got the hang of the interface. Now, I really only have to look at one screen for the most part: "recruit players," and sometimes I have to look at player cards. The filters on that screen give me everything I need. The only other place I end up going is right before advancing to the next week, when I use the "player visits" screen. That's pretty reasonable to me. The one biggie I wish is that somewhere on the recruit card that there would be an asterisk next to the schools of interest that have offered him a scholly. If I had that, I would even have to use the e-mails. Here's my weekly recruiting process right now.

1. View e-mail and note commitments and players with multiple offers. (I only need to do the latter if I'm playing at a Very Low prestige school and am offering "over my head.")
2. Go to "recruit players" screen. Sort recruits by watch list and position, selecting the "recruiting" view instead of "personal.' (because recruiting view has the player's level of interest on it.
3. Go through each position and see where I stand with the player(s) targeted.
4. If I need to pursue others at a position, change filter from watch list to "all" or "high school" and change region to home region (if a small school).
5. Rinse and repeat steps three and four for each position.
6. Once done with all positions, go to "player visits" and sort by "effort."
7. Accept visits for the top 5 efforts.

Obviously, all of this is after week 8. During week 8, depending on how much money I have to spend, I either look at stats and/or scout every player with interest above 5ish and whatever level of stars I'm looking at during that wee (but still from the "recruit players" screen). During weeks 9 and 10, I also go back and forth to player cards a good bit from the "recruit players" screen, because I'm deciding who to offer schollies (based on scouting reports) and what pitches to give them.

I've found that once I got the hang of it, it became a pretty smooth process, and if I can convince Arlie to add those asterisks in a patch, it will become *VERY* smooth sailing.