View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 06:47 AM   #20
Chris Jones
n00b

1974 Season in Review

The New York Tartans can officially say they have a dynasty. Winning their 3rd straight USA Title Game and claiming their 4th conference and 5th division title in the first 5 years of both the league and the franchise. A dynamic offense, which has been the trademark of the franchise, again paced the team.

3 time USA Title Game MVP Terry Hanratty had another remarkable year leading the Tartans offense. Hanratty set a team record with over 4,250 yards passing and equaled another franchise mark by throwing for 31 touchdowns. Hanratty was named the Player of the Year and elected to his first ever All-Star game. Ross Montgomery, the current UFL career rushing leader, won his 3rd Offensive Player of the Year award and was elected to his 5th straight All-Star game. Montgomery rushed for 1,527 yards and 19 touchdowns. Veteran Mike Carter posted another fine season, breaking the team record with 13 receiving touchdowns while catching 80 balls for 1,210 yards. Billy Walik added 928 receiving yards. The Tartans averaged over 414 yards a game offensively as even with injuries appeared unstoppable with the big three (Hanratty, Montgomery and Carter).

The Tartans run defense was the best in franchise history allowing just about 90 yards a game. Tony Plummer lead a defense that intercepted 16 passes and recorded 30 sacks. Plummer had 5 interceptions himself and has 31 in his career. Plummer also recorded 91 total tackles. Benny Johnson, a former All-Star, recorded a team high 88 solo tackles and 125 total tackles. Paul Smith lead the team with 6.5 sacks with Glenn Condren and Clyde Swift each adding 5 sacks. The Tartans defense was hammered all season with injuries and relied on depth and consistent play to enjoy another successful season.

The Tartans 3 peat as World Champions is probally something that will never happen again. They are now faced with salary cap problems as the enter the 1975 season. I fully expect the team to be broken up. I really didn't expect a 1974 championship team, so you never really now. But I know the team is headed in a youth direction so I'd expect a semi normal season in '75.