View Single Post
Old 10-22-2006, 09:04 PM   #469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sabin wins the X Title with an inside cradle.

Cage wins the 8 Mile Street Fight in just under 15 minutes.
Kind of strangely booked IMO. Rhino dominated the brawl early, including a segment where he tried to drive Cage into the ring area atop the zamboni parked backstage, but he apparently ran into something & got it stuck. Rhino beats him pillar to post for a while before Cage takes control & then we get a series of increasingly violent blows to the head (remember, they're playing up Rhino's concussions in the run up to tonight) but each time Rhino kicks out, including twice from the Unprettier. Finally Cage buries Rhino under a pile of chairs, table parts, a ladder, a street sign & then beats the crap out of the pile with another chair. He pulls Rhino out of the rubble, goes for the pin, and 1-2-3. It's over.

Damned if I understand the point of having the multiple false finishes if Cage is going over anyway.
I mean, I get that they were trying to put Rhino over as a tough guy with a lot of heart, but that isn't the lingering feeling I come away with at all.

Also, a really awkward apparent blown spot in this one towards the end. Rhino is supposed to piledrive Cage from the apron onto a table at ringside. They grapple on the apron for a bit & then just suddenly stop, almost like somebody yelled "Cut". They sort of oddly climb back through the ropes, punch, kick, reverse positions left & right, back to the apron & then Rhino hits the piledriver. It looked to me as though the table may have been pre-cut about 1/3rd down the left side and that they had to get into the right position for the move, but it just looked ... strange.

Crowd also booed when the ref helped Rhino out of a straight jacket at one point. Even though he fought back & put Cage down despite the restraints, having the ref get him free was really rather weak IMO (and apparently the crowd agreed).

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-22-2006 at 09:11 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote