View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #22
Radii
Head Coach

Homework - Week 1 Tuesday

Mindful Eating - I make my standard bacon and eggs for breakfast. I am still eating at my computer desk for this, but I leave my monitors off and do not engage with any sort of technology until I complete this task. I will practice mindfulness while eating my first strip of bacon. I aim to go through the senses the same way we practiced in class. The bacon is still a little slick from grease. It is not completely firm/crumbly. No smell, I will likely re-iterate my almost non-existant sense of smell repeatedly here. It looks... like bacon. My bacon also does not talk to me, though I can hear Homer Simpson drooling, "mmmmmm, bacon". I notice the salty taste. I notice that some parts are crunchy, some less so. I note that is pretty much how I like my bacon, I enjoy this. I note that I am chewing much faster than when in class last night.

Body Scan - I lay on my back, in bed, with pillows under my knees and a small pillow under my head. I am infinitely more comfortable with this support. I listen to the CD we were given. The body scan track is 25 minutes long. My feelings when I am focused on the body parts being discussed are similar to last night, I do not have any feelings I can describe at any point that are not "symptoms" or feelings of discomfort. I note a difference with my knee, both from the pillows and from the fact that my knee simply doesn't hurt as bad today as it did last night. I skip over my right foot. Later on, I feel myself being drawn repetedly to my foot. I am aware of the ball of my right foot over any other body part. It is impossible to focus on the voice of the instructor and on the area she is guiding me to for more than a few seconds without being drawn away to the sensations in my foot. After about the halfway point my mind wanders constantly, to what I'm going to do after this task it complete, to wondering whether any of the snow from today will freeze overnight. At some point I am thinking about my level of focus when last hitting with Nasus during the first 4 levels in League of Legends games. I am not surprised to think about League, I do note with amusement how very detailed and specific that thought was. I do try to calmly pull my focus back to the audio a few times, but at this point it does not stay for more than a few seconds.

Routine Activity - (last night bedtime) - Dean jumps on my bed immediately when I lay down. I leave the laptop and the physical therapy nightly routine alone, as I had planned. He purrs immediately. His purr is very loud, and I notice this. I notice how "active" he is in being petted, anytime my hand is near his head he bumps his head into me repeatedly until I scracth him. I notice how relaxing and comforting it is to do this. After a few minutes, my mind does wander to things I need to do for work the next day. I bring myself back to this a couple times before calling it a day and pulling up reddit on the laptop and beginning the nightly PT routine.

And that's that, day 1's homework complete!

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote