View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #309
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Tue. November 8, 2022

Barclays Premier League
Dover (8-1-2, 25 points, 3rd) vs. Arsenal (6-2-2, 20 points, 6th)
Crabble Athletic Ground, Dover, UK

Betting Odds: Dover: 7-4 Draw: 11-5 Arsenal: 5-4 (Favourites)
Past Meetings: 3W 2D 7L

Arsenal are doing well in Europa League group play right now and are holding their own in the league as well, sitting in sixth with a game in hand on most in the league. They had a few big signings in the offseason, spending £24 million in total and £9 million was on veteran Inter midfielder Alexander Kacaniklic and he has 2 goals and 5 assists in 15 matches so far. They also spent £6.25 million on Dutch right fullback Patrick van den Berg but he's being brought along slowly and has only played in four matches. Veteran midfielder Jack Wilshere is leading the team in scoring with 6 goals so we'll need to be mindful of him. As always, striker Lee Ross and DC/ST Nchimunya Munyao are the danger men.

We get Andrea Rocca back from injury and he's good to go today. He may not make it through the whole match but at the very least, I can get 70 minutes out of him. Claudio Contreras also returns from suspension and Arsene Bamba is on the bench but not ready to start so Said Henni gets a second consecutive game on the left wing. Control philosophy at home, as we hope to replicate our 6-0 win over the Gunners from last year.

Dover: 4-4-2 Control
GK - I. Wilke
D - R. Gaucho, C. Contreras, R. Hamon, S. Loucif
M - S. Henni, N. Cairney, A. Rocca, G. Bolis
S - S. Andrea, Chiquinho
Bench - D. Traore, K. Zagos, G. Fanfoni, S. Spall, G. Allan, A. Bamba, P. Moses

Arsenal are in a 4-5-1 formation. Lee Ross is alone up front, Wilshere is in the midfield and Munyao is at DC for now. They are starting 31 year old Brazilian Renan in goal - this is his first league start for Arsenal since coming over from Stuttgart in the offseason. I tell the team to express themselves for the supporters and pull aside Chiquinho, Henni and Bolis for individual talks.

16' - There's a wild scene in the Arsenal penalty area after a Chiquinho cross. Andrea gets a header on goal that Renan stops and we get two more cracks at it as Arsenal clear into the top row of the stadium to relieve the pressure.

21' - On an innocent looking play, Lee Ross takes the ball with his back to goal and turns to his left foot and shoots and it's off Wilke and IN. Claudio Contreras is giving him WAY too much room and Arsenal take the lead. ARSENAL GOAL 0-1

30' - Henni takes a pass and cuts in but his curling shot is saved nicely by Renan.

35' - We're getting pressure now and it's Rocca with a curling shot and again, Renan makes the save near the post.

HALFTIME - We've been lights out at home for quite awhile but not today. Arsenal have 53% of possession but we outshot them 7-6 (5-1 on target). We need much, much more from pretty much a full strength lineup. I tell the players I'm not satisfied and want more from them.

48' - Bolis with a cross and Andrea Rocca with a rare header that almost crosses the line but somehow Renan gets there for the save. He's been excellent for the Gunners.

63' - We finally strike! Rocca has a corner and his cross is to the far post and it's Claudio Contreras heading it into the far corner and we're on the board! DOVER GOAL 1-1

68' - NO! Said Henni steams down the left side and gets a cross into the area and Gianluca Bolis is all alone but his shot from point blank range is RIGHT AT Renan and he makes the stop! My God!!

69' - As expected, Rocca is exhausted at 70 minutes so I take him out and bring in Gian Marco Fanfoni.

70' - We're not getting great play from our strikers lately and now it's Chiquinho giving up possession and that allows substitute Adam Hlousek into our area but Wilke makes the fine save.

75' - Oh for goodness sakes. Arsenal have possession and their midfielder Kyrylo Petrov sends an absolute ROCKET past Wilke and into the net. Our damn defence was sitting there with their hands in the air as if someone was offsides but they just stopped playing and it costs us bigtime. ARSENAL GOAL 1-2

We immediately take out Shanon Andrea and Said Henni and bring in Paul Moses and Arsene Bamba. Overload mentality.

We get no great chances in the last fifteen minutes as we drop our third match in four. Officially a slump?

Dover 1 - 2 Arsenal
Goals - Claudio Contreras (7.4)
Assists - Andrea Rocca (6.9)
Man of the Match - Kyrylo Petrov (Arsenal MC - 8.3)
Other Dover Notables -
Attendance - 18,999

Arsenal edge us on possession 51%-49% but we outshoot them 15-11 (7-3 on target). Both of their goals were pretty much unstoppable but a very disappointing performance again as our strikers have suddenly gone cold.

-- In other mid-week action, Everton drops Aston Villa 3-1 and Manchester United walk into Etihad Stadium and win 3-1 over City. Chelsea also beat up on Sunderland 4-1 to maintain their comfortable early season lead.

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE - STANDINGS
(ALL TEAMS HAVE PLAYED 12 GAMES UNLESS NOTED)

1. Chelsea - 31 points
2. Manchester City - 26 points
3. Dover - 25 points
4. Manchester United - 24 points
----------------------------------------------------
5. Arsenal - 23 points (11 games played)
6. Sheffield Wednesday - 22 points
7. Reading - 19 points
----------------------------------------------------

Dover Reserves Team Update

-- Paul Moses continues to be a man amongst boys at this lower level, scoring three goals and adding three assists in 60 minutes of action as we WALLOP Sheffield United's reserves 10-1! Zoltan Bardi also scored a hat trick, Graham Allan scored twice and Shaun Spall and Steve Ingram added singles.

-- Of course, Moses got hurt in this game as I was contemplating starting him this weekend but thankfully, he'll only miss a few days with a bruised rib.

Next Up

-- We head out on the road to face mid-table Newcastle.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote