View Single Post
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #153
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Yes, I would. In fact, they've implemented penalty kicks in soccer to prevent exactly this type of glorification of semi-mediocrity.

If an NFL playoff game went into four overtimes, it would be far from considered a classic, and, while it would certainly maintain some entries in the record book, history would not be all that kind.

Look at the women's record for longest tennis match. It stretched on for six-plus hours for an entirely different reason. Could you imagine sitting through it? One rally lasted nearly 700 shots. I believe this was during the Andrea Jaeger moonball era.

Tennis seems rather uniquely vulnerable to great feats of the mundane.

I'd love to see you or anyone else stand up on the court for 11+hours. just stand there. most likely you'd fall over in a stupor. No matter how low your opinion is of the STYLE of play, it in no way reduces the significance of what those players did.

To have played so many points, whether long or short and still have the reserves and strength to pull back and slap a 130mph+ serve 9 hours into a match is impressive to say the least.

Complain about the style of play, dislike that all you want, but you don't have a step to stand on in denying the history involved with that match, the sheer guts and effort that it took to complete it.

You're welcome to your opinion Jim. Sadly it shows a serious lack of depth of character to spout off about it the way you did.

Last edited by RendeR : 06-25-2010 at 01:23 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote