View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 PM   #56
Calis
College Starter

FOFC Grand Prix Opening Round

The following 8 fighters have earned their way into the FOFC Grand Prix tournament which begins next card....

Raven Hawkov
David Yellope
David Gonzalez
Owen Hunter
Jeff Nights
Rupert Pupkin
Ian Bishop
AJ Tucker

We're now going to randomly assign the fighters their first round match! This is not a straight bracket tournament, I'll probably assign or maybe randomly assign the next round, we'll see how it goes. This round is completely random though, so here goes.

First off...

David “The Dominator” Gonzalez
vs.
AJ Tucker

We saw Gonzalez have no trouble in his debut match, ending it in well under a minute. He's a great ground fighter and he'll be meeting up with AJ Tucker who is possibly the man right now after defeating the former Pride champion in Raven Hawkov. This one is up in the air.

My Prediction: This one really could go either way, I'm going to go with Tucker though. Tucker has a ground game that's almost on part with the Dominator, and a standup game that is much better. He's not going to be horribly uncomfortable either way. It's hard to bet against Gonzalez after that last win though...

For the next fight...I'm not kidding folks, this happened, not rigged. The random number generators seems to want these two to fight at every possible opportunity. They've already had a couple knockdown dragout brawls, and this time should prove to be no different. You've probably guessed it by now...

David “The Beast” Yellope
vs.
Jeff Nights

My Prediction: Nights has his number, he's defeated Yellope twice already, and he handled his first fight with relative ease. I think he has to be the favorite again. That being said, Yellope has to be pissed that he's lost twice, so he'll have that extra fire. They're both world class punchers, so the edge is really up in the air. Nights has a big advantage in ability to ground and pound, but Yellope has the intangibles. They both pack a helluva wallop.

Rupert Pupkin
vs.
Owen Hunter

Here's another of our Striker meets Grappler matches. Seems like every fight is one. Pupkin is a veteran, and was a real threat in the Pride organization before making his move over here. He's one of my favorites, and a master at the ground game. Owen Hunter on the other hand is a new guy, but he's coming off of a win in his first match where he showed some real grit by coming back after receiving a beating and giving back twice what he got.

My Prediction: I have to go with Pupkin here. He's coming off a win where he knocked hi s opponent out, which is something we didn't expect to see. He's shown he's been working on his boxing, and no one can question his ability to grapple. Hunter as we mentioned is a great wrestler, he's got good punches from the mount and a good standup punching game. He doesn't want this one on the ground though, and I think Pupkin can force it.

Raven Hawkov
vs.
Ian Bishop

Well we all know about Raven Hawkov, he's the Russian Bear. He's not fancy, he's very straightforward, toss you around like a rag doll and finish you off however he deems necessary. He's had some trouble since moving from Pride to FOFC, and is still adjusting, but he's not a man to be taken lightly. Ian Bishop is one of our most well rounded fighters, he's comfortable standing, on the ground, he's got knockout power, and the ability to submit you.

My Prediction: Tough one to call here. Hawkov has definitely shown signs of being human the last two matches. He's taking a beating, but he proved last fight that he'll patiently take the hits and wait for a moment to strike. I personally see him taking the fight to the ground and controlling the tempo. I have to stick with him. He's got to show some ability to do some damage from the ground though or it could be a long one.

---------

So there it is folks, the first round! Lets get those fight strategies in, as I hope to run it Friday morning or early afternoon.

I should add another not on the fighter strategies that I think needs to be clarified. From what I've seen those of you who are strikers really need to focus more on power. Technical doesn't seem to have any effect on strikes, what I mean is if you set technical high, you appear to punch much less, and you focus much more on submissions, etc... So that's something to consider. It doesn't just mean you only go for power strikes, kinda weird.

What I'll do is allow every fighter to do the 5 point switch after the Grand Prix is finished.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote