View Single Post
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM   #251
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory Journal - Season Opener 2028-29

Berkeley is buzzing as the seventh-ranked Wolfpack takes the floor for the 2028-29 season opener against the homestanding Cal Golden Bears. Victory experiences a twinge of sadness/regret as he watches the boys in red and white – all of whom he recruited – warm up at the opposing basket.

“Man they look sharp,” Victory says to lead assistant Matt Cotton. “And for some reason they look a lot bigger than they did when I was at State. I hope we can hang with them.”

Though considered the underdog at four of five positions, Cal comes out looking like the seventh-ranked team in the nation (not sure how they got ranked so high). The Bears take a pleasing 43-32 lead into halftime, and the crowd howls with delight. Victory is like a hyped-up football coach as he heads for the locker room, high-fiving anyone and everyone in gold and blue (even a few fans).

The second half, though is another story. The Sheriff pumps the Pack up, and small forward Calvin Carstensen goes off. He finishes with 33 points as NCSU rallies for a 75-71 triumph. Carstensen, a player Victory treasured while at State, swishes 5-of-7 from behind the arc, goes 8-of-10 from the line, grabs 11 rebounds and even has two blocks, two steals and an assist for good measure.

“One fine basketball game,” Victory tells him afterward. “I miss you, kid. Wanna transfer?”

“Thanks coach, we miss you too. But your little bro ain’t so bad,” Carstensen says. “A little weird that’s all. Don’t get him started telling stories. What’s this about the Bahamas and an amputated finger?”

“Never mind that,” Victory says, putting one hand in his pocket.

As the coaches shake hands, The Sheriff has a certain satisfying gleam in his eyes, as if finally free of a burden. “Remember who built this team for you,” Victory tells Wilt in a joking manner but with a hint of seriousness behind it…

“And remember who left it to come here,” The Sheriff says, not resisting one last jab before walking off...

Last edited by aztarheel : 02-08-2007 at 11:48 AM.
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote