View Single Post
Old 02-11-2007, 08:57 PM   #258
aztarheel
High School JV

Steve Victory JOURNAL – Sweet 16 (2030 season)

Unfortunately for Cal fans, the NCT run ends after two games. The Bears get fried by the Friars of Providence 85-50. The game is pure ugly from the opening tip. Cal goes scoreless for the first nine minutes and falls behind 42-20 at the break. Miran Lekivicius is the only guy in double figures, and he scores just 10. Providence’s top players score 24, 16 and 12 points respectively. Cal hits just 17 of its 57 shots from the field…

“That is probably the worst basketball game I’ve ever been associated with,” Victory tells the press afterward. “We looked like we didn’t even deserve to be in the ACT. I apologize to our fans. We were pitiful, and that ultimately reflects on me… I promise this will not happen again… I will not rest until we are in contention to win an NCT title – and even then I will not rest…”

The NCT tournament is rough on Victory’s little bro as well. State makes it to the Elite Eight, but the Pack loses to Florida 78-75, a team both coaches hate since both are Miami alums. That sets The Sheriff on a cursing spree that forces CBS to quickly cut to other coverage. “Easy little bro,” Victory says to his TV set as Greg Gumble Jr. apologizes profusely to viewers.

While Victory blamed the Providence loss on himself, there is no stopping the Friars as they roar into the Final Four. Once there, they take out Florida 77-67 and trample Pac-10 entry Washington for the 2030 title 79-67. Providence was a number four seed but played more like an NBA team during its three-week run…

Illinois gets the Big Fade award. After winning two NCT titles in three years time and making four Final Fours over the past six years, the Illini go 14-17 and miss the entire post-season. They started 7-0 before hitting major bumps in the road… You won’t find Victory complaining even though it breaks Illinois coach Harris Rowell’s string of NCT appearances at 27… “Happens to the best of ‘em,” the coach muses.

TCU beats Dayton in the ACT final. Miami makes the ACT Final Four. So does Weber State.

Stevie Victory Jr. is the second leading scorer for College of Charleston this season (13.5 ppg). The Cougars lose to Purdue in the opening round of the NCT, however. And Li'L Victory announces that he’s going pro!! The elder Victory just shakes his head. (Told you I made his ratings too good)...

“Even if you get drafted, you have a long road ahead of you,” he tells his son. “Why don’t you pull your name out and go back to Charleston. I worked hard to get you that scholarship there.”

“No can do, Dad. I’m on a mission. I gotta win an NBA title before I retire from playing. I’m giving myself 15 years to do it. See here’s my plan on this napkin here. Play as a reserve for 3-4 years, then land a starting job, then...”

Boy, does that sound familiar. Like father, like son… Stevie Jr. does get drafted, picked 43rd by Sacramento… (How cool for the game to do that – he’ll be closer to his dad out in Cali!!)

Stephanie Victory finishes a subpar second season at San Diego State. She averaged about 8 ppg as a reserve point guard for Lianne Perry’s Aztecs. She didn’t play much as a freshman either. Maybe next season she’ll land a starting role… She suffered a little bit from kidney disease this past season…
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote