View Single Post
Old 02-12-2007, 09:17 AM   #261
aztarheel
High School JV

From the Desk of Steve Victory, Cal Basketball Coach

Nov. 1, 2031.

Hello all, Steve Victory here. After writing my story for 28 years, AzTarHeel has taken a one-year sabbatical from dynasty posts. Hey, he’s earned it – all that writing in third person and switching back and forth between present and past tense can be pretty exhausting. He’s off in the Caribbean – or is it China. I’m not sure. Hope he comes back!

Anyway, for the season at hand – the 29th of my career and my fourth at Cal-Berkeley – you’ll get reports straight from the source. I’m certainly not the writer AzTarHeel is, but I promise to be a lot more interesting than my bro Daryl. Unlike him, I do speak and write in complete sentences. But that’s another story…

So, what’s in store for the Golden Bears in 2031-32? It’s going to be tough to reproduce our 31-win season from a year ago – the most wins Cal has had in hoops in several decades I might add – but I think we’ve got the guns to win the Pac-10 and maybe even make a run to the Final Four. I’m always up for a trip to the Final Four!

I am totally pumped by one player in particular, senior Miran Lekivicius. He’s only 6-5, but he’s as tough and smooth as they come. He’s been one of our leading scorers each season, and could contend for Pac-10 player of the year this season. I moved him from power forward to small forward two years ago, and he’s really adapted well. He’s ratings are through the roof…

Aside from Leki, this year’s team has a strange make-up. We don’t really have a stud point guard nor a true starting center. The NBA defections of should-be senior centers Ben Ward and Jerome Frederick could really hurt us this year, but I can’t be bitter. If someone offered me millions of dollars to play hoops at age 21, I would have jumped too. Well, maybe. I got mad at my son for leaving school after two years. And now he’s languishing at the end of the bench in Sacramento. At least he’s close by. And I get free season tickets to see the Kings!

It looks like sophomore Peter Madic will get the starting nod at center for us. He’s 6-9 and still really a year away from being a horse in the paint, but I think he’ll do well. If he falters, we’ll likely turn to redshirt junior Kyle Jacobson. He’s 7-1 but has really had a tough time adjusting to the college game. Maybe by next year, he’ll truly be a stud. Maybe. What is it with 7-footers struggling in my programs?

Junior Pat Matthew – my first recruit at Cal – could win the PG job and shine this year. Adam Dunn and James Bennett should be among our other top guards. Off the bench, I am pumped about PF Othella Williams and SF Scott Ward. Scotty is itching to take over Leki’s spot, but he’s learning from one of the best this year. Other subs who could contribute include SG Chris McKamey and SF Cameron Tolliver, two recruits from the past year. The other two new guys, C Jovan Vitas and SF Terrence Myles, will redshirt this season. We are excited about developing these two for the future… Let’s hope injuries don’t force them into action early.

Here’s what the so-called experts are saying about us during preseason write-ups. They call both our freshman and overall talent level “superior” – I like that. They tell us our national prestige really went up – 5 points! – to 68. I like that, too. My bosses in the administration building just want to see us back in the NCT. I don’t like that. I want more!! I want another NCT title and a fourth ring for my finger. We’ll be hard-pressed to do that this season, but you never know. Jim Valvano would remind us to never give up…

And so we’re off. Our first stop – back to defend our title at the Alaska Challenge. It’s going to be cold – and my lil bro The Sheriff gets to go to Hawaii with his NCSU Wolfpack – but I’m stoked about starting another season of college hoops. Stick around for a wild ride!

Cheers,
Steve
aztarheel is offline   Reply With Quote